Search

Building work on hold for Lowestoft’s new Burger King drive-through

PUBLISHED: 17:55 18 May 2017 | UPDATED: 15:02 22 May 2017

Building work has stopped at the new drive-through Burger King in Lowestoft.

Building work has stopped at the new drive-through Burger King in Lowestoft.

Archant © 2017

A project which was due to kick start the regeneration of a former civic site in Lowestoft has ground to a halt, after the company behind it went into administration.

The Coopers Building in Lowestoft before it was demolished. Picture: Archant. The Coopers Building in Lowestoft before it was demolished. Picture: Archant.

Work got under way at the end of last year to build a Burger King drive-through on the site of the historic biscuit factory off Jubilee Way. However, Waveney District Council, which unanimously approved the plan, said the franchise due to be managing the site has gone into administration.

A spokesman said: “Following discussions with the administrator, we are pleased they are already talking to a range of other potential operators, including different Burger King franchise holders, about this site and the wider business.

“Although work on the site had reached an advanced stage, nothing more can be done until the new operator has been secured. Waveney, the administrator and other operators recognise the strength and potential of this site as part of a very positive future for development in Lowestoft and we all hope that this situation will be resolved quickly so that work can recommence.”

The restaurant was approved on the grounds it would kickstart the regeneration of an area which would bring customers and further businesses to the north end of town. However it caused concern for heritage campaigners, as the Coopers Building dated back to the 1800s and was where long-life sea biscuits were manufactured until the 1960s.

Building work has stopped at the new drive-through Burger King in Lowestoft. Building work has stopped at the new drive-through Burger King in Lowestoft.

John Stannard from Lowestoft Civic Society, and Fiona Cairns, from Suffolk Preservation Society (SPS), who originally objected to the proposal, said they were “dismayed” by the stalled development.

They said: “We now understand that, having cleared the site, the work has ceased part way through as the fast food franchise holder for this area has gone into receivership. Should Waveney District Council have insisted that a contract for the redevelopment of the site was in place before the demolition began?

“This sad situation is deeply disappointing. Lowestoft has lost another part of its maritime heritage and has gained another vacant site with an uncertain future.”

Neither Burger King or the administrators responded to a request for a comment.

2 comments

  • Another triumph for Waveney District Council! Why do they ignore the people who know and just go ahead and destroy our heritage. A Burger King outfit is entirely the wrong sort of business for this area and it was never going to reinvigorate a depressed area.

    Report this comment

    NorCas

    Friday, May 19, 2017

  • More housing not burgers needed in this town!

    Report this comment

    Karmastuartra

    Thursday, May 18, 2017

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Other popular content

Yesterday, 10:54

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was attacked with an unknown substance in Beccles.

Yesterday, 17:09

A couple who have lived in their same Beccles home all their married life have celebrated a diamond milestone.

11:30

At 17, Jordan Catchpole already holds several swimming records and now has his sights set on competing at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.

Yesterday, 14:27

Suffolk construction firm Jackson Civil Engineering has been awarded the contract for the long-awaited £7m Beccles Southern Relief Road.

Most Read

Yesterday, 10:54

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was attacked with an unknown substance in Beccles.

Read more
Yesterday, 17:09

A couple who have lived in their same Beccles home all their married life have celebrated a diamond milestone.

Read more
11:30

At 17, Jordan Catchpole already holds several swimming records and now has his sights set on competing at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:27

Suffolk construction firm Jackson Civil Engineering has been awarded the contract for the long-awaited £7m Beccles Southern Relief Road.

Read more
Suffolk County Council

A joinery business is set to close unless a buyer can be found.

Read more

Later in Life

cover

Click here to view
the Later in Life
supplement

View

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 17°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Beccles and Bungay Journal e-edition today E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter