Search

Controversial plans to build 78 new homes in Carlton Colville delayed

PUBLISHED: 17:51 19 February 2018

A decision surrounding the proposed development of 78 new homes in Carlton Colville has been deferred. Photo: Google.

A decision surrounding the proposed development of 78 new homes in Carlton Colville has been deferred. Photo: Google.

Archant

A controversial bid to build a new housing estate within the setting of a Grade II* listed church has been delayed after councillors voted to visit the site to more accurately assess the community impact.

A decision surrounding the proposed development of 78 new homes in Carlton Colville has been deferred. Photo: Google. A decision surrounding the proposed development of 78 new homes in Carlton Colville has been deferred. Photo: Google.

The proposed outline application for 78 new homes in Carlton Colville was expected to be refused by Waveney District Council’s planning committee last week.

However, the decision was deferred as ten councillors voted in favour of viewing the site first and one voted to refuse the application entirely.

The proposed scheme, submitted by Badger Building, would see homes built opposite St Peter’s Church on the land at Church Lane and Chapel Road.

A decision surrounding the proposed development of 78 new homes in Carlton Colville has been deferred. Photo: Google. A decision surrounding the proposed development of 78 new homes in Carlton Colville has been deferred. Photo: Google.

In previous months residents, councillors and Historic England have voiced concerns that the proposal will negatively impact the setting of the church and nearby residents.

St Peter’s Church is the oldest recorded building in the town. It was originally built in 1326, then rebuilt in 1884, and is Grade II* listed – meaning it is a particularly important building of more than special interest.

Historic England objected to the applications and said developing the last open area of land in the setting of the church would result in harm to the significance of the building.

A decision surrounding the proposed development of 78 new homes in Carlton Colville has been deferred. Photo: Google. A decision surrounding the proposed development of 78 new homes in Carlton Colville has been deferred. Photo: Google.

Paul Light, of Carlton Colville Town Council, believes the area’s existing infrastructure could not cope with the influx of residents the proposal would bring.

He said: “The infrastructure is already inadequate with drains and sewers working to capacity.

“For a number of years now I have been drawing attention to a number of roads that are regularly surface flooding in that area because of the burden various developments have placed on the drains.”

Mr Light also said the development would increase pressure on existing services such as school places, dentists and doctors.

In the planning report presented to the committee, the town council recommended refusal and said: “The area under consideration is deemed by the community and Carlton Colville Town Council to be of great importance.

“It is the last remaining site which in any way reflects the heritage of the village and should be protected.”

In its design and access statement, Badger Building said it was likely the majority of homes would be two storey, with a significant area of open space included on the southern boundary of the site. It also said it would provide extra parking for the church to meet modern needs.

The site visit is due to take place in early March.

Other popular content

Friday, October 17, 2014

An 18-year-old woman is launching her own second-hand vintage clothes and gifts shop in Loddon and will be donating up to 25 pc of all sales to a different charity each month.

Yesterday, 12:10

A national maritime charity is calling on amateur and professional photographers to submit their favourite images honouring Britain’s proud maritime heritage for its annual competition.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Thousands of homes across Suffolk sit empty despite a national shortage in housing, new figures reveal.

Friday, June 22, 2018

A 44-year-old man has been charged with a public order offence after an incident at a building society in Halesworth.

Most Read

Friday, October 17, 2014

An 18-year-old woman is launching her own second-hand vintage clothes and gifts shop in Loddon and will be donating up to 25 pc of all sales to a different charity each month.

Read more
Yesterday, 12:10

A national maritime charity is calling on amateur and professional photographers to submit their favourite images honouring Britain’s proud maritime heritage for its annual competition.

Read more
Twitter
Saturday, June 23, 2018

Thousands of homes across Suffolk sit empty despite a national shortage in housing, new figures reveal.

Read more
Friday, June 22, 2018

A 44-year-old man has been charged with a public order offence after an incident at a building society in Halesworth.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:30

An important part of Bungay’s rich history was honoured through a special event.

Read more
St Mary's Church

Later in Life

cover

Click here to view
the Later in Life
supplement

View

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 24°C

min temp: 11°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Beccles and Bungay Journal e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Beccles and Bungay Journal weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy