Former Woolworths stores in Suffolk and what they are now
- Credit: Archant
Once a high street giant that could be found in almost every Suffolk town, Woolworths is now just a fond memory to those who used to shop there.
But what are they now?
Here are six of Suffolk's old Woolworths stores and what they have become since the retailer shut for business.
Woolworths first opened in Beccles in 1936 on Market Place as a fairly small store before expanding in the 50s and 60s to become much larger.
It closed in January 2009 and is now a QD Stores.
- 1 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 2 Joy as Cycle for Life charity ride marks milestone in style
- 3 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 4 Wine dating back to 1960s discovered hidden at town store
- 5 Litter problem creating image Suffolk is a 'dirty county', tourism chiefs fear
- 6 Inspirational Emma: “I feel very lucky to be alive”
- 7 Fringe events start in run up to Beccles Food and Drink Festival
- 8 Drivers asked to avoid area after two-vehicle crash closes Suffolk road
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
In 1931, Woolworth came to Suffolk's coastal town Felixstowe at 47-51 Hamilton Road.
This store closed in December 2008 when the company with most of the other stores and has now become a Peacocks.
3. Bury St Edmunds
Opening on Cornhill in 1928, Woolworth in Bury St Edmunds was right at the heart of the market town's community.
It closed in 2008 and the site is now split between Poundland, Sports Direct and Tesco Express.
Woolworths in Ipswich was opened in November 1923 on Carr Street.
It has now become a Poundland after closing in 2008.
The oldest Suffolk Woolworths, the Lowestoft store opened at 109 London Road North in 1922.
Today it is a Poundstretcher after closing in December 2008 but some old Woolworth architecture still remains above the shop.
Stowmarket's Woolworths was opened slightly later than the others in 1952.
The Market Place site is now a Peacocks following the closure of the store in 2008.