Mystery surrounds the discovery of a body on remote Norfolk farmland, with police unable to establish its identity after a month’s investigation.

The grim find was made by farmers on the outskirts of Woodton on March 19 at around midday.

Police were called and officers put up a tent on the field, on Old Hall Farm near the Norwich Road, as they started their inquiries.

Officers say the body was of a man but after more than four weeks of investigation they still do not know who he was or how long he had been there.

Beccles & Bungay Journal: Farm land near the Norwich Road at WoodtonFarm land near the Norwich Road at Woodton (Image: Denise Bradley)

They do not believe the death was suspicious but are treating it as “unexplained”, with further tests still ongoing.

Unlike in previous, similar cases, police did not release details of the discovery at the time and only provided them when contacted by this newspaper.

The incident has prompted shock and intrigue in the tiny village, which is about ten miles from Norwich.

A spokeswoman for Old Hall Farm said the experience had been “very distressing”.

READ MORE: Fiancée of Mother's Day stabbing victim speaks out as manhunt for suspects stalls

READ MORE: Tributes to rugby player, 23, after body found at children's play area

She added: "It can be confirmed that a body was found on a farm off Norwich Road, Woodton on March 19.

"This was very distressing to the farmers who are devastated that such a tragedy could occur on their property."

Beccles & Bungay Journal: Farm land near the Norwich Road at Woodton Farm land near the Norwich Road at Woodton (Image: Denise Bradley)

A police spokeswoman said: "Police can confirm the body of a man was discovered near Bungay on the afternoon of March 19, 2024.

"Officers were called to reports a body had been found at 12.02pm on farmland off Norwich Road in Woodton. A police cordon was in place while investigations were taking place.

"Further tests are being carried out to establish the identity of the man who was found some weeks after his death. 

"The death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious and a file has been passed to the coroner."