Aerial images shows the change of Flixton Hall near Bungay since Second World War
PUBLISHED: 16:44 30 December 2017
A 17th century country house in the Flixton countryside, near Bungay, once stood as a magnificent mansion steeped with history.
But as these aerial images show, almost nothing remains of Flixton Hall, home to the Adair family for nearly 200 years.
The pictures, taken by John Fielding, of Upton Road, Norwich, recreate an image taken in 1944 by the US Army Air Force who were based in the nearby RAF Bungay station.
Built around 1615, the Jacobean-style mansion set in wooded parkland and open gardens was acquired by the Adairs in the early 18th century. It was destroyed by a fire in 1846 and subsequent repairs took close to a decade to complete.
Major General Sir Allan Shafto Adair, 6th Baronet, sold the hall and the surrounding 250 acres of land to a private seller in 1950. Within two years the hall was demolished and a piece of Suffolk’s history disappeared.