Loud rave shut down by police after being called by neighbours

PUBLISHED: 19:09 18 August 2019 | UPDATED: 20:36 18 August 2019

Police at the rave in Aldeby, near Beccles. (Picture: Joe Norton)

Police at the rave in Aldeby, near Beccles. (Picture: Joe Norton)


Residents in a quiet Norfolk village have expressed their anger after being woken up in the middle of the night by a loud rave.

The rave was in Aldeby near Beccles. Picture: Google MapsThe rave was in Aldeby near Beccles. Picture: Google Maps

Officers closed down the party in Aldeby, near Beccles which started just after midnight on Sunday.

Around 300 people and 100 vehicles are thought to have been at the rave near Stanley Hills.

A number of residents called police in the early hours of Sunday to voice concerns about the noise coming from the event.

One resident who lived in Aldeby but did not want to be named, said she was woken up just before 1am.

"I heard a banging sound but I didn't think too much of it at first," she said.

"It then seemed to get louder and louder which is when I knew it was a party.

"It's really not on."

The woman described Aldeby as a "quiet, rural village."

On arrival at the rave, officers blocked entrances to the site after they found around 100 cars near to the site.

Police officers and ambulance crews remained on scene at the junction near to Elms Barn for much of Sunday.

You may also want to watch:

A drone was also used to help monitor the site.

Specialist resources from Norfolk and Suffolk Constabularies were brought in to disrupt the event, which was closed down at about 4pm on Sunday.

Sound equipment including decks and three generators were seized by police and the registration numbers of all vehicles present at the site have been taken by police, with a view to prosecuting for the offence of driving on common land.

Chief Inspector Nathan Clark, who led the operation, said: "We were made aware of this event by local residents who contacted police to complain about the noise.

"Officers have been at the scene since the early hours, monitoring the event and blocking entrances to prevent further people attending.

"This afternoon, specially trained public order officers from Norfolk and Suffolk entered the site and closed the event down safely.

"Raves, not uncommon at this time of year, can be very disruptive for local residents and landowners while the presence of hundreds of people and vehicles can also have a detrimental impact on the environment.

"The action taken today falls in line with our robust approach to these events and investigations are ongoing to identify the organisers."

Another resident who did not want to be named, said: "I didn't hear the rave until about six in the morning but I know it kept my parents up all night.

"It's totally ridiculous behaviour but unfortunately it's not the first time this has happened."

The man who has lived in Aldeby for 40 years said there was a rave in the same area around two years ago.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal