Annual ‘school playground rules’ conkers tournament to be a smash hit
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
Bake them, varnish them, or soak them in vinegar - whatever your secret, get ready because the area’s biggest annual conkers tournament is returning.
The Waveney Valley Conkers tournament is, according to organisers, the biggest sporting event in Beccles and Bungay, and truly marks the start of Autumn.
Now in its 13th year, the 'school playground rules' tournament pits the weak against the strong to see who will be victorious at the unofficial biggest conker championships in the world.
The tournament is returning to The Locks Inn, in Geldeston, on Sunday October 8, 2019, and is fundraising for Beccles primary school to get new playground equipment.
There will be live music, food and drink to hand, and with the conkers ripe and ready, the contest will get into full swing with prizes and trophies for both junior and senior championships.
You may also want to watch:
There will even be a 'best dressed' conker prize.
Regular hosts and referees Yanny Mac and Paddy Lappin will be there. Last year Mr Lappin said the tournament was "part of a whole day's entertainment, commencing mid-afternoon," and there were "bad decisions, irreverent behaviour and the odd bit of snagging."
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 4 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 5 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
- 9 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 10 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
Registration for the tournament takes place from 12-12.45pm, and entry costs £2.