Annual ‘school playground rules’ conkers tournament to be a smash hit
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
Bake them, varnish them, or soak them in vinegar - whatever your secret, get ready because the area’s biggest annual conkers tournament is returning.
The Waveney Valley Conkers tournament is, according to organisers, the biggest sporting event in Beccles and Bungay, and truly marks the start of Autumn.
Now in its 13th year, the 'school playground rules' tournament pits the weak against the strong to see who will be victorious at the unofficial biggest conker championships in the world.
The tournament is returning to The Locks Inn, in Geldeston, on Sunday October 8, 2019, and is fundraising for Beccles primary school to get new playground equipment.
There will be live music, food and drink to hand, and with the conkers ripe and ready, the contest will get into full swing with prizes and trophies for both junior and senior championships.
There will even be a 'best dressed' conker prize.
Regular hosts and referees Yanny Mac and Paddy Lappin will be there. Last year Mr Lappin said the tournament was "part of a whole day's entertainment, commencing mid-afternoon," and there were "bad decisions, irreverent behaviour and the odd bit of snagging."
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 3 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
- 4 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 8 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 9 Knitters set to hit 'gorgeous' beach for Stitches on the Sand
- 10 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
Registration for the tournament takes place from 12-12.45pm, and entry costs £2.