Appeal after thieves steal from elderly
THIEVES have stolen thousands of pounds from pensioners after confronting them in their homes across Suffolk.Police are linking six incidents which took place on Monday.
THIEVES have stolen thousands of pounds from pensioners after confronting them in their homes across Suffolk.
Police are linking six incidents which took place on Monday. In one, a 98-year-old woman was threatened and manhandled as intruders stole thousands of pounds from her home in Blythburgh.
Other north Suffolk homes targeted were in Wrentham and Pakefield, in Lowestoft, while thieves struck further afield in Bildeston, near Stowmarket and at Kesgrave.
Suffolk police were last night following up a number of leads and have urged anyone with information to come forward.
Force spokesman Anne-Marie Breach said: “It's horrendous; they are the lowest of the low to target people of this age in the way they have done.”
The victim in Blythburgh was watching television between 5.30pm and 6pm when a man walked in and started to search her property. She noticed two other offenders and told them they had to leave because a relative was due to come round. One of the suspects took hold of her arm and forced her to sit down while the property was ransacked.
- 1 League of Friends of Hospital raise & invest staggering sum of money
- 2 Britain's Got Talent star to perform at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Amazing pictures of the impact of heatwave captured from microlight
- 6 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 7 Town's real ale pub launches new menu with 'something for everyone'
- 8 Obituary: 'Remarkable' musician remembered with publication of new book
- 9 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 10 Suffolk ranked as the best place in England for camping holidays
At about 6.05pm, an 85-year-old man was in the kitchen of his home in Walker Gardens, Wrentham, when he heard someone walking around inside. A man engaged him in conversation for several minutes before making his excuses and leaving. A short time later the resident noticed hundreds of pounds had been stolen.
Thieves are thought to have entered another home in Walker Gardens between 4.30pm and 6.30pm, although it is not thought anything was stolen.
Anyone with information should contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500.