Art sale boosts funds for NSPCC branch
- Credit: Nick Butcher
An auction of art has raised over £600 for the Beccles branch of the NSPCC, which formed last year to help vulnerable young people in Suffolk and beyond.
The event was held at Beccles Library last Wednesday, with artwork donated by Michelle Payne from The Upstairs Gallery along with other local artists.
And despite a smaller than expected turn out, the fundraising group were pleased with the amount they raised.
Caroline Topping, chairman of the group, said: “We were disappointed with the numbers as we only had about 20 people who attended.
“But Nicholas Rudge from Durrants who was running the auction created a really good atmosphere and people were bidding against each other.
You may also want to watch:
“We were pleased with how much we raised, it was more than we expected, and we would like to hold another auction in the future.”
The group, which is part of the North Suffolk branch of the NSPCC, formed in May 2015 and has already raised over £2,000 to help tackle child cruelty in this area.
- 1 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 2 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 3 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 8 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
The event was sponsored by Beccles-based Quayside Conservatories, which made a donation towards the running of the evening, with refreshments provided by Tesco of Beccles.
The team is hoping to raise even more money this year, and will be taking part in the Beccles Cycle for Life event in May, as well as running stalls at other events.
Are you raising money for a good cause? Email firstname.lastname@example.org