Artists gear up for exhibition
BECCLES Society of Artists is gearing up for its annual exhibition with extra lighting and a special 40th anniversary feel to the event. It takes place from August 1-8 at the Public Hall and this year the society has received a �204 grant from Waveney District Council of �204 to buy more lighting for the show.
BECCLES Society of Artists is gearing up for its annual exhibition with extra lighting and a special 40th anniversary feel to the event.
It takes place from August 1-8 at the Public Hall and this year the society has received a �204 grant from Waveney District Council of �204 to buy more lighting for the show.
There is no selection of paintings for the exhibition and all members make their own choice of works to exhibit. The consistent success of the society's exhibition can be measured by the significant number of works sold each year.
The society was founded in 1969 by Frank Delf, a retired marine engineer who lived in Worlingham. A keen artist, he was also well known as a naturalist and had expert knowledge of windmills and round-towered churches.
You may also want to watch:
A much-respected professional artist, Frank Forward, also played a major role in the foundation of the society. It was after a successful exhibition arranged for his pupils at the Corn Exchange, later Lloyds Bank, in 1967 that the desire for a local art society was born, but lay in abeyance until Frank Delf took up the challenge and held the first meeting in October 1969 in the upstairs room or The Friends' Meeting House in Smallgate.
Several life members who have been involved in the society since its early days, Cyril Bateman, Maurice Dix, Alan Fairchild, Tom Parnell and Angela Bailey have all been instrumental in contributing to the society's success.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 3 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 4 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 5 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 6 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 7 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 10 What we know about Prince Philip's funeral at Windsor
The object of the society is the furtherance and enjoyment of art. Meetings are held monthly with demonstrations, talks, or slide shows on various aspects of art. Speakers have included Charles Evans, a well-known TV contributor, as well as many inspirational and talented local artists and speakers.
The society is interested in expanding and new members are welcome. If anyone would like to apply, the membership secretary is John Davies on 01502 711738.
The annual exhibition opening times are 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday and Sunday 2 to 4pm.