Artists to showcase work at exhibition in Beccles
- Credit: Archant
The annual exhibition by the Beccles Society of Artists will be launching in the town tomorrow.
The exhibition will be held at Beccles Public Hall and will be open daily until Saturday, August 6.
The display will feature a wide range of artistic styles and subject matter, and offers a unique opportunity for the society’s members to showcase their work.
Beccles Society of Artists was formed in 1969, and is dedicated to the furtherance and enjoyment of art. The founder, the late Frank Delf, a retired marine engineer who lived in Worlingham, was a keen artist. He was also well known as a naturalist and had expert knowledge of windmills and round-towered churches. The late Frank Forward, a much respected professional artist, also played a part in the foundation and it was after a successful exhibition arranged for his pupils at the Corn Exchange in 1967 that the desire for a local art society was born. Mr Delf took up the challenge and held the first meeting of the society in October 1969.
Colin Blake is one of the many artists taking part in the exhibition, and work on display will include his painting of the steps leading to St Michael’s Church in Beccles. Titled ‘Thirty-three steps’, the painting was inspired by parents with young children who use the cliffside steps beneath the church as a counting exercise.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Blake said: “Whilst I was in Puddingmoor making preparatory sketches, several families counted each step aloud as they worked their way up or down - not all of them came to the same total as me!”
The society meets monthly as the Waveney Centre in Newmarket, Beccles, for talks or demonstrations by professional artists or other experts in art and associated fields. New members are always welcome. The exhibition will be open each day from 10am to 6pm, with a late night opening until 9pm on Thursday, August 4, when the bar will be open. The exhibition closes at 3pm on the final day and admission is free.
- 1 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 2 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 5 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 6 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 7 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 8 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 9 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
For more information visit www.becclesartists.co.uk