Antiques street market to return for ninth year with 100 dealers
- Credit: James Bass
Shoppers are set to descend on Beccles as they look to bag a bargain at the town’s antiques street market.
Back for the ninth year, the event will see 100 general and specialist dealers filling the centre of Beccles, selling a wide range of good quality antiques and collectables including furniture, silver, china, linen, jewellery, books, clocks, retro and vintage design/clothing and decorative items. The market will run from 8am to 4pm on Sunday, May 6.
Kate Lee from Blyburgate Antiques and Christine Pinsent from Saxon, both in Beccles, started the market in 2009 with just over 40 dealers and were overwhelmed with the support it attracted.
They now operate a waiting list for stallholders and said the enthusiasm from both the dealers and buyers has been primary in making the market not only a success but a great day out with a wonderful atmosphere.
The organisers said: “If you haven’t been before you really should give it a visit and experience the pleasure of a busy outdoor specialist market with a great atmosphere and knowledgeable dealers.
You may also want to watch:
“It goes ahead regardless of the weather, so remember to bring an umbrella and a sun hat.”
Many of the local shops, restaurants and bars will also be open so shoppers can take a break and rest their feet. And there will also be catering stalls at the market including a hog roast, ice cream and hot drinks.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 4 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 5 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 6 Town's post office to close within a month
- 7 Man admits voyeurism after filming people in bathrooms with hidden cameras
- 8 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 9 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 10 Missing pregnant woman found
This year’s Beccles Antiques Hunt competitors, sponsored by the organisers and Durrants Auction House, are the A Shop Charity and 2nd Beccles Scout Group. Each team will have £100 to buy as many bargains as they can to sell at Durrants Antiques Auction for profit.
Organisers will once again be hosting a second market later this year, due to be held on Sunday, August 12.
The second date was introduced in 2011 due to the event’s popularity.
Entry to the antiques market is free and the event will be well signposted for visitors.
For more information visit the Beccles Antiques Street Market Facebook page at www.facebook.com/antiquesmarketbeccles or call Mrs Lee on 01502 711174.
• Have you got a Beccles story or event coming up? Email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org