Beccles and Bungay Journal awards: Meet your young person of 2021
- Credit: Beccles Town Council
A Beccles teenager who sprang into action to try and save a life has been recognised in the Beccles and Bungay Journal Awards.
17-year-old Toby Smith was working at the town's 3G football pitch when a player in a walking football event collapsed.
Acting quickly, the Sir John Leman Sixth Form student began carrying out CPR and used the nearby defibrillator before paramedics arrived at the scene.
Sadly, the man passed away, despite the efforts of Toby and the emergency services.
Toby said: "There was someone on the 3G pitch who had a heart attack.
"Myself and a few others who were there at the time tried our best to revive him.
"We carried out CPR and used the defibrillator before the paramedics arrived.
- 1 Obituary: The dentist who described how lucky he was to live in Beccles
- 2 Further cold weather alert for Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 'Blight' of fly-tipping on rise in east Suffolk as council vows clampdown
- 4 Suffolk's sensational year on screen as filmmakers spend millions in county
- 5 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 This East Anglian cheese has been named one of the best in the UK
- 8 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 9 'Don't suffer in silence': Support on offer as UK heads for inflation spike
- 10 Police chased driver after car crashed into hedge, court hears
"We were just trying to do all we could for him, but it was a tragedy what happened."
The Beccles Under-18s footballer was named our Young Person of the Year, and is urging others to learn CPR.
He said: "I learned CPR at school, and I think it is something everyone should know and try to learn.
"It is nice to be recognised and I'd like to say thank you very much for everyone who nominated me on behalf of everyone's efforts who was there that day."
The teenager was also recognised by Beccles Town Council in December, winning the Eileen Crisp Award for Youth for 2021.
He received his award from Beccles Mayor Richard Stubbings.