Beccles church launches fundraising appeal - and it needs your help
- Credit: Nick Butcher
An urgent public appeal has been launched to help raise money to complete the restoration of St Michael’s Church in Beccles.
A project is currently under way restoring some of the internal and external masonry, but the outer faces of the South Porch are in dire need of attention.
The Friends of St Michael’s have already raised more than £26,000 to fund the current work and have pledged £19,000 towards the total of £87,000 needed to restore the detailed external stonework, meaning a further £68,000 is needed – or it will be lost forever.
And today The Journal is calling on the community to rally round and play its part in preserving the iconic Beccles landmark for future generations by launching a “Pounds for the Porch” campaign.
A host of fundraising activities are planned, including an organ recital in the church on June 3 at 12.30pm.And The Journal is urging people across the town to join the Friends, donate, attend one of the fundraising events – or plan their own.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the Friends of St Michael’s Hugh Taylor said: “Both the Friends and the church are asking the public – individuals, businesses and groups – for their help to bring this magnificent building situated at the very centre of Beccles, overlooking the river valley, back to prime condition as a building of significant community importance.
“We have comparatively little time to raise these monies as we have been advised, following specialist advice, that the work must start as soon as possible so time really is of the essence.”
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 4 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 5 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 6 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 7 Man suffered double jaw fracture in Norwich bar attack
- 8 Health watchdog's concerns over 87-year-old's hospital discharge
- 9 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
- 10 HGV driver faces trial after death of great-grandmother
The Rev Rich Henderson said: “It’s the iconic building of the town, whichever way you come into Beccles you see the church.
“There’s some really fine detail that is wasting away. The porch is the oldest part of the building and has unique features, we want to do all we can to conserve it for the future.
“It has been the heart of life in Beccles for centuries and it is important for the town, whether you worship or not.”
? Call the Friends of St Michael’s to help the appeal on 07825 871938 or email email@example.com
? Are you raising funds for the appeal? Email firstname.lastname@example.org