Beccles day centre gets a taste of Easter thanks to generous donation
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A social enterprise scheme based in Beccles has handed out 120 chocolate eggs to elderly and vulnerable people to celebrate Easter.
Theresa Cumbers, director of Sharel @ Step in Northgate, handed out the first of the Easter treats to members of The Young At Heart day centre in Beccles on Wednesday, taking along 23 bags filled with chocolate goodies.
The remainder of the eggs were handed out to visitors at the charity’s tea room and drop-in centre and people using their Foodbank service.
The eggs were donated by Tesco, Morrisons and other individuals.
Ms Cumbers said: “Last year we did the little ones and organised an Easter colouring competition which went really well, but this year we wanted to support the elderly and people who are isolated to show them they are not forgotten.
You may also want to watch:
“We are here to work in partnership with other organisations and I would like to thank everyone for their support.”
The Young at Heart day centre is run from Beccles Sports Pavilion and welcomes elderly people on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday, providing a hot meal and a range of activities.
- 1 All the events at Beccles Public Hall this autumn
- 2 Beccles' first post-pandemic charity ride is a success
- 3 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 4 Village's long-awaited community facility one step closer
- 5 Speed checks on A144 near Halesworth just weeks after fatal crash
- 6 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 7 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 8 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 9 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 10 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
Annette Terry, who helps to run the centre, said their members were delighted with the chocolate eggs.
Sharel @ Step opened in Beccles in June 2014 to support vulnerable people. As well as the drop-in centre and tea room where emotional support is at hand, Sharel also offers practical aid by stocking quality secondhand furniture at affordable prices and is an official Foodband distribution point.
For more details call 01502 341625.