Beccles day centre gets a taste of Easter thanks to generous donation
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A social enterprise scheme based in Beccles has handed out 120 chocolate eggs to elderly and vulnerable people to celebrate Easter.
Theresa Cumbers, director of Sharel @ Step in Northgate, handed out the first of the Easter treats to members of The Young At Heart day centre in Beccles on Wednesday, taking along 23 bags filled with chocolate goodies.
The remainder of the eggs were handed out to visitors at the charity’s tea room and drop-in centre and people using their Foodbank service.
The eggs were donated by Tesco, Morrisons and other individuals.
Ms Cumbers said: “Last year we did the little ones and organised an Easter colouring competition which went really well, but this year we wanted to support the elderly and people who are isolated to show them they are not forgotten.
You may also want to watch:
“We are here to work in partnership with other organisations and I would like to thank everyone for their support.”
The Young at Heart day centre is run from Beccles Sports Pavilion and welcomes elderly people on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday, providing a hot meal and a range of activities.
- 1 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 2 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 9 How old should children be to play outside on their own?
- 10 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
Annette Terry, who helps to run the centre, said their members were delighted with the chocolate eggs.
Sharel @ Step opened in Beccles in June 2014 to support vulnerable people. As well as the drop-in centre and tea room where emotional support is at hand, Sharel also offers practical aid by stocking quality secondhand furniture at affordable prices and is an official Foodband distribution point.
For more details call 01502 341625.