Town gets set to go quackers as duck race returns for 15th year
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Decorated ducks will once again be bobbling down the River Waveney at Beccles for the annual duck race.
Organised for the second year by the Beccles Sea Cadets, the duck race will be held on Sunday, July 29, at Beccles Quay.
Now in its 15th year, the day will see colourful plastic ducks take to the water in two separate races for little ducks and corporate ducks from 3pm.
The duck race has been successfully raising funds for youth organisations in Beccles for years and profits will go towards new training equipment for the sea cadets.
Ducks are currently on sale in Morrisons, Sweet Memories, Cossey Funeral Service and Beales department store, all in Beccles, at £2.50 each. And participants are encouraged to use their imaginations when decorating their ducks, with £100 first prize up for grabs for the best decorated duck on the day.
You may also want to watch:
Corporate Ducks are also available at £50 for new a duck or £35 for a relaunch.
Sharon Meadows, from Beccles Sea Cadets, said: “We are delighted to be running the event again this year. Last year was a massive success and this year will be even better.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 4 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 5 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 6 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 7 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 8 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
- 9 HGV driver faces trial after death of great-grandmother
- 10 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
“The duck race is in its 15th year and is only possible with the help of other local people such as Colin Crisp, Alec Moore and councillor Caroline Topping to name a few.
“We are also supported by local businesses who sell our ducks for us and the day brings a great community feeling to the town.
“The money raised will go towards training equipment and general running costs for the cadets as most of our other funds are being used for our new headquarters.”
Entertainment will kick off from 11am and will also include the K-Syl-R Children’s Roadshow, donkey rides, local author Emma Bacon doing a book reading and signing and a variety of stalls.
A fun dog show will be running alongside the races with nine different show categories to enter at £1 per class.
They include loveliest lady, best rescue, scruffiest mutt, best junior handler and the golden oldie, rounded off with best in show.
Stalls for the day are still available to book by calling Sharon on 07814678637.
For more information visit the Beccles Duck Race Facebook page.