Beccles footballers brave the cold with beach match and swim
- Credit: Archant
Dedicated players from Beccles Caxton Football Club braved the chilly conditions on Boxing Day to play a game of football on the beach.
Working off their turkey dinner from Christmas Day, current players, ex-players and management showed off their dazzling skills during a 45-minute game by the Claremont Pier on Lowestoft beach, before running into the sea in their green and white kit.
The event was staged for the second year running to raise money for the club, with each player collected their own sponsorship.
The money will be put towards ground improvements and new goals, which will benefit the club’s new under sevens team which is starting next season.
First team manager Lee Hackleton said: “The first 30 seconds were cold and so were the 30 minutes after that but it is all about helping the club go forward, as it has done in recent months. I love the commitment of the players and the management.”
You may also want to watch:
Club chairman Mike Guymer added: “There is a fantastic spirit at the club. We have some wonderful players and an excellent management team and although we have had a difficult time this season the club is going places. We welcome any new players to our expanding set-up and are looking for volunteers for match days and people to support the club on the committee.”
Anyone interested in joining the club can email email@example.com
- 1 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 2 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
- 5 West End star set to visit youngsters at Beccles Public Hall
- 6 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 7 Heartbreak as Beccles Ladies miss out on Wembley dream at final hurdle
- 8 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 9 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 10 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis