Beccles gears up for Duck Race
BECCLES is all set to go quackers on Sunday as the annual Duck Race gets underway.The quirky event, which will raise funds for local schools, takes place at the quay from 3pm and will also include a wide variety of entertainment from noon.
BECCLES is all set to go quackers on Sunday as the annual Duck Race gets underway.
The quirky event, which will raise funds for local schools, takes place at the quay from 3pm and will also include a wide variety of entertainment from noon.
There will be a total of three heats this year, for individually-bought ducks, with the top 50 ducks in each heat then going on to a final to win the top prize of £100.
There will then be a separate race for the corporate-sponsored “giant” ducks, battling it out to win a selection of fine wines and champagnes.
You may also want to watch:
Ducks are still on sale in shops around Beccles, and they will also be available on the day - and the Kuk Sool Korean Martial Arts School in Beccles is taking along their mascot, the Kuk Sool Panda, which will be in a marquee run by the martial art school.
Caroline Topping, organiser of the event, said: “The schools are all gearing up to go down and do their bit. We've checked the weather and it's going to be good!”
- 1 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 2 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 3 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 4 Police told family of father who died after restraint that he was sleeping
- 5 Mattresses among items dumped in countryside
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 8 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 9 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 10 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
The entertainment from noon will include displays, fair rides, donkey rides, stalls, competitions, the Beach Radio, music from the Moore Music Roadshow music, the Water Lions Dog Rescue display team, a licenced bar and barbecue.
Ducks for this year's race cost £2 and are available from many shops in Beccles, including Kulture Shock, Tabers, Twyfords, Quayside Conservatories, Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Bookthrift and Country Cards.
Funds raised from the event will be divided between the seven participating schools, who will be able to use the money to buy educational and play equipment, or subsidise educational trips. The Sir John Leman High School is putting its funds towards their Peruvian and Kenyan excursions.
There was a sour note to preparations for the Duck Race this week as a number of signs advertising the event were stolen from eight sites around Beccles. They had been put up by organiser Liz Goldspink, who said she was determined not to be defeated by “such pettiness.” Mrs Topping said they disappeared over Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
“All the other signs advertising other events are still there so we're a bit agitated. It's really upsetting when you've put in so much effort to raise money for children at our schools.”