Beccles gets set for Christmas fun at switch on event
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Beccles will find itself illuminated for the festive season as some of the most anticipated events on the town’s calendar takes place next weekend.
The fun kicks off next Friday, November 28, with an evening of late night shopping and music during which the Christmas lights will be officially turned on.
The countdown to the switch on begins at 5.45pm and at 6pm the Mayor of Beccles will do the honours alongside Beach Radio and the Beach Bunny. There will also be some special guests from one of Disney’s most talked about films, who will be available for a meet and greet at Hughes Electrical afterwards.
Live entertainment on the main stage will come from Harmonique, the River Hundred Folk Band, Beccles Rock Choir, Resonate, Beccles Community Choir and Tom Elgie.
The Suffolk School of Samba will be lining the streets in their bright costumes, as well as a few unexpected visitors.
You may also want to watch:
There will be the usual fair rides, hot and cold food, open shops and free parking from 4pm in all Waveney District Council car parks.
Santa is making a special visit to Beccles for the evening and will be in his grotto inside St Michael’s Church tower meeting.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 3 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 4 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 5 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 6 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 7 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 What we know about Prince Philip's funeral at Windsor
- 10 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
During the night the winner of the best Christmas window will be announced on stage.
This year’s recipient will be awarded the Alan Thwaites Memorial Plaque in memory of the popular Beccles town councillor.
The main tree in Beccles town centre has also been dedicated to the late Ivan Holmes, who championed the Beccles Lions for many years.
The evening has been organised by Beccles Business and Tourism Association (BBTA) and Beccles Town Council.
Christine Pinsent, chair of the BBTA said: “The event is free to attend but none of it would be possible without the generosity and support of everyone who has sponsored it.”
A partial road closure will be in place in the town centre from 1pm and a full closure takes place from 3pm from the town hall in a clockwise direction.
For more information visit www.beccleschristmaslights.co.uk or www.facebook.com/beccleschristmaslights