Beccles groups unite for spring clean
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Two Beccles groups have joined forces to give the town a spring clean in time for the Queen’s birthday next month.
The Bombles - Beccles’ litter picking group - along with the Beccles Morning WI set off from St Michael’s Church on Wednesday in the rain armed with high visibility jackets and bin bags.
The collection was organised as part of Clean for The Queen, a national campaign aimed at clearing up Britain for Her Majesty’s milestone on April 21, with further celebrations planned for June.
Judith East, president of the WI group, said: “We read in the paper that the Bombles have been cleaning up the town and we thought it would be good if we came together.
“It’s the Queen’s 90th birthday and the town’s charter was granted by Elizabeth I so it’s nice that we are doing this for Elizabeth II.”
You may also want to watch:
The group targeted areas in and around the town centre including the scores, Puddingmoor, Waveney Meadow, Ballygate, The Dell and Northgate.
They were joined by Natalie Clement, community champion at Tesco in Beccles, and the town’s Co-operative Food store provided lunch for the WI members ahead of the litter pick. Beccles Town Council will be organising an event to mark the Queen’s birthday, with full details still to be confirmed.
- 1 Green light for new homes bid in Norfolk village
- 2 Opening date revealed for community pub with 1,400 shareholders
- 3 Primary school reopens after outbreak of 17 Covid cases
- 4 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 5 New mayor unveiled for Bungay
- 6 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 7 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?
- 8 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 9 School year group and bus passengers told to isolate after Covid case
- 10 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
The Bombles meet every Tuesday at 3pm to clean up an area of the town. To find out on more search for BOMBLES (Beccles Wombles) on Facebook.
Are you doing something special to mark the Queen’s birthday? Email email@example.com