Beccles illuminated with festive cheer at Christmas lights switch on
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The festive season kicked off in style as hundreds gathered in the centre of Beccles to celebrate the Christmas lights switch on.
Congregating in front of the main stage the large crowd were showered with fake snow as Dave Taylor from Heart Radio took charge of proceedings.
The honour of turning on the lights fell to the cast of this year’s Beccles pantomime Robin Hood and reigning mayor Richard Stubbings.
Mr Stubbings said: “It’s great to see so many people in the town and see it all so vibrant.
“There is a lovely atmosphere with all the parents and children milling around.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s so nice to see the town buzzing. The switch on is a real attraction for Beccles and one that we can build on.”
The switch on also signals the launch of the Beccles Christmas Tree Trail, which will run until December 23. This year 63 businesses will be displaying decorated trees around the town as part of the trail.
- 1 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 2 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 3 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 1960s music night to raise hospital funds
- 7 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 8 Damaged opiate vials at hospital 'likely a manufacturing fault'
- 9 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 10 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
The doors also opened to the Christmas Tree Festival at Hungate Church, which will run until Sunday.