Beccles illuminated with festive cheer at Christmas lights switch on
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The festive season kicked off in style as hundreds gathered in the centre of Beccles to celebrate the Christmas lights switch on.
Congregating in front of the main stage the large crowd were showered with fake snow as Dave Taylor from Heart Radio took charge of proceedings.
The honour of turning on the lights fell to the cast of this year’s Beccles pantomime Robin Hood and reigning mayor Richard Stubbings.
Mr Stubbings said: “It’s great to see so many people in the town and see it all so vibrant.
“There is a lovely atmosphere with all the parents and children milling around.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s so nice to see the town buzzing. The switch on is a real attraction for Beccles and one that we can build on.”
The switch on also signals the launch of the Beccles Christmas Tree Trail, which will run until December 23. This year 63 businesses will be displaying decorated trees around the town as part of the trail.
- 1 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 2 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 3 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 8 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
The doors also opened to the Christmas Tree Festival at Hungate Church, which will run until Sunday.