Beccles junior golfer scoops two awards
- Credit: Lesley Pyke
A junior golfer has upstaged those older than him to scoop up two major awards.
George Swallow, eight, was recently awarded the Williams Cup for junior individual winner at Halesworth Golf Club’s annual awards presentation night.
Adding to that achievement, the Beccles youngster was also crowned as the first ever winner at the golf club’s Junior Nine Hole Matchplay Championship.
George showed exceptional talent to win both competitions, beating junior golfers as old as 14.
“I was really excited and very proud to be presented with these awards,” said George.
You may also want to watch:
“Particularly as both competitions were open to junior golfers of all ages.”
The sport has long been part of his family’s DNA. He first attended the golf club as a baby with his father Mark, who is a 5-handicap golfer.
- 1 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 2 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 5 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 6 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 7 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 8 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 9 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
His father’s love for the sport rubbed off on George, who became a member as soon he was old enough to join.
His mother Claire said: “Before he was old enough to be part of the club he was brought a toy golf club which is when he first learned to putt.
“He joined the club at the age of five and now he is known to be a bit of a local celebrity there as the youngest member there.
“He absolutely loves going to the golf club. When his dad brings him along he can go there for hours on end and never get bored.”
The first sign that success was on the horizon came when he finished runner up in the Williams Cup, at the age of six.
Golf is just one of many sports that George likes to play. He is also an avid footballer playing for Beccles Town under 8s Hornets, Norwich Player Development Centre and North Suffolk Sports Academy and trains with Beccles Royales Gymnastics Club.
His father Mark said: “We are very proud of George. He loves playing his sport and has received several awards for football.
“He has a real passion for golf and spends many hours practising. His excellent successes are testimony to his enthusiasm and dedication, and are very well deserved.”