Beccles junior golfer scoops two awards
- Credit: Lesley Pyke
A junior golfer has upstaged those older than him to scoop up two major awards.
George Swallow, eight, was recently awarded the Williams Cup for junior individual winner at Halesworth Golf Club’s annual awards presentation night.
Adding to that achievement, the Beccles youngster was also crowned as the first ever winner at the golf club’s Junior Nine Hole Matchplay Championship.
George showed exceptional talent to win both competitions, beating junior golfers as old as 14.
“I was really excited and very proud to be presented with these awards,” said George.
“Particularly as both competitions were open to junior golfers of all ages.”
The sport has long been part of his family’s DNA. He first attended the golf club as a baby with his father Mark, who is a 5-handicap golfer.
- 1 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 2 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 3 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 4 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 5 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 6 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 5 of the best brewery tours in Suffolk
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
His father’s love for the sport rubbed off on George, who became a member as soon he was old enough to join.
His mother Claire said: “Before he was old enough to be part of the club he was brought a toy golf club which is when he first learned to putt.
“He joined the club at the age of five and now he is known to be a bit of a local celebrity there as the youngest member there.
“He absolutely loves going to the golf club. When his dad brings him along he can go there for hours on end and never get bored.”
The first sign that success was on the horizon came when he finished runner up in the Williams Cup, at the age of six.
Golf is just one of many sports that George likes to play. He is also an avid footballer playing for Beccles Town under 8s Hornets, Norwich Player Development Centre and North Suffolk Sports Academy and trains with Beccles Royales Gymnastics Club.
His father Mark said: “We are very proud of George. He loves playing his sport and has received several awards for football.
“He has a real passion for golf and spends many hours practising. His excellent successes are testimony to his enthusiasm and dedication, and are very well deserved.”