Beccles Lido opens with a splash as hundreds enjoy first weekend of swimming
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Lido opened for the summer season with a splash on Saturday, with a queue of eager swimmers outside the pool from 7.30am.
And all the hard work of the lido team who have been volunteering behind the scenes over the winter months paid off, with a sunny start to the season.
More than 50 people had been through the turnstiles by 9am on the opening day, with over 700 people using the heated outdoor swimming pool across the Bank Holiday Weekend - 15pc up on last year’s figures.
Shaun Crowley, a director and volunteer at Beccles Lido and chief executive of Beccles Lido Limited, is still recovering after being involved in a horrific collision on his bicycle, but managed to pop down to the pool to kick off the season.
He said: “The new all-weather exercise equipment, kiddies play equipment and soft surface pool surround were all big hits and our new Splash Pool Bar café manager Lindsay Davies has introduced lots of new specials which also went down well with our visitors.
You may also want to watch:
“So all in all things are looking good for the new season.”
Also new for this year the lido is offering aquacise classes with experienced instructor Sam Raymond and the chance for children to become a “Rookie” by learning what it takes to become a lifeguard.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 3 Land transformed with power company's pond restoration
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Restaurant hosting drinkers at Covid peak may have ‘risked public’s health’
- 6 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 7 'Disappointment' for town centre with McDonald's branch closure
- 8 Roof collapses at derelict chicken shed after fire
- 9 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 10 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
The pool will be open every day until September 11, and for the full opening times, prices and information about season tickets visit www.beccleslido.com or search for Welcome to Beccles Lido on Facebook.
The lido in Puddingmoor is also the base for the Big Dog Ferry, which runs a three-mile trip between the pool and the Geldeston Locks Inn. The ferry will be running until October 30, and more information can be found on the lido website.
Do you have a Beccles story? Email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org