Beccles Lido to open tomorrow at 2pm
SWIMMERS will finally have the chance to make a big splash into the only outdoor pool in the region this weekend.Beccles Lido will be opened tomorrow at 2pm by mayor of Beccles Brian Taylor before people are invited to dive in.
SWIMMERS will finally have the chance to make a big splash into the only outdoor pool in the region this weekend.
Beccles Lido will be opened tomorrow at 2pm by mayor of Beccles Brian Taylor before people are invited to dive in.
Last minute legal negotiations have been reached this week and these will enable the freehold transfer of the Lido site to take place today, meaning the pool will be owned and managed by Beccles Lido Limited.
The main pool is already full with water and the new gas boilers have been fired up and are slowly bringing the water up to a comfortable swimming temperature.
You may also want to watch:
The huge half tonne, 17 metre long cover is being delivered this morning to ensure that heat is not lost while the pool is not in use.
The improvements to the pool have been made possible by a series of grants, including a major grant for energy saving measures from the British Gas Green Streets project.
- 1 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 2 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 3 Your tributes to the loved and lost for Father's Day
- 4 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 5 Coastal businesses affected by footbridge closure to receive share of £5k a month
- 6 Gala Day organisers take 'difficult decision' to cancel popular event
- 7 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 8 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 9 Live the good life: Listed farmhouse for sale for £700,000 after renovation
- 10 Latitude 2021: More acts announced as director vows festival will go ahead
This grant has enabled the cracks in the pool to be repaired, a thermal plastic liner to be installed, the night-time cover to be provided, new efficient gas boilers to be installed and will enable solar PV panels to be installed on the roofs of the buildings.
In addition to grants there has been a huge volunteer effort with supporters doing a whole range of jobs including painting, fence erecting, tree surgery, grass cutting, clearing vegetation, digging trenches and fitting out the kitchen.
The number of volunteer hours given to the project runs into the thousands.
Shaun Crowley, Beccles Lido Director said: “This is a really exciting time and the culmination of years of hard work by the local community.”