Beccles Lido to open tomorrow at 2pm
SWIMMERS will finally have the chance to make a big splash into the only outdoor pool in the region this weekend.Beccles Lido will be opened tomorrow at 2pm by mayor of Beccles Brian Taylor before people are invited to dive in.
SWIMMERS will finally have the chance to make a big splash into the only outdoor pool in the region this weekend.
Beccles Lido will be opened tomorrow at 2pm by mayor of Beccles Brian Taylor before people are invited to dive in.
Last minute legal negotiations have been reached this week and these will enable the freehold transfer of the Lido site to take place today, meaning the pool will be owned and managed by Beccles Lido Limited.
The main pool is already full with water and the new gas boilers have been fired up and are slowly bringing the water up to a comfortable swimming temperature.
You may also want to watch:
The huge half tonne, 17 metre long cover is being delivered this morning to ensure that heat is not lost while the pool is not in use.
The improvements to the pool have been made possible by a series of grants, including a major grant for energy saving measures from the British Gas Green Streets project.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 4 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 5 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 6 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 7 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 8 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 9 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 10 Graduation worth the wait for East Coast College's class of 2020
This grant has enabled the cracks in the pool to be repaired, a thermal plastic liner to be installed, the night-time cover to be provided, new efficient gas boilers to be installed and will enable solar PV panels to be installed on the roofs of the buildings.
In addition to grants there has been a huge volunteer effort with supporters doing a whole range of jobs including painting, fence erecting, tree surgery, grass cutting, clearing vegetation, digging trenches and fitting out the kitchen.
The number of volunteer hours given to the project runs into the thousands.
Shaun Crowley, Beccles Lido Director said: “This is a really exciting time and the culmination of years of hard work by the local community.”