Beccles Lion given top accolade by club for his service
- Credit: Archant
A Beccles and District Lions member has received a special recognition award.
During the recent charter dinner Keith Moore, president of the club, presented Dermot Wesley-Smith with the Melvin Jones Fellowship. Mr Moore said: “The Melvin Jones Fellowship is the highest accolade a Lion’s member can have bestowed upon them. It’s given to an individual for their dedication and outstanding service to Lionism over many years.
“Dermot has served as welfare and service chairman within the club for many years and is always keen to help those individuals less fortunate. His tireless work and dogged enthusiasm is a fine example to us all.
“Dermot has been an ever present figure within the community of Beccles too and is still very active within the May Centre despite only recently retiring as its chairman.
Mrs Wesley Smith said: “This is a total surprise and an unexpected honour to become a member of the Melvin Jones Fellowship.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t know what to say. I know I couldn’t have done what I have done over the last 35 years without the support and patience of my wife Christine, she has supported me totally over the years and that has enabled me to do more work for the Lions and in turn for the community. “I really do enjoy my role as chairman of the welfare and service committee within the club.
“I want to take this opportunity to thank my fellow club members for acknowledging me in this way, although really we are all in this together helping people wherever we can.”
- 1 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 2 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 3 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 8 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 9 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
For more information about the Lions call Janet Ramsden on 01502 514284 or visit www.beccleslions.org.uk.