Beccles Lion given top accolade by club for his service
- Credit: Archant
A Beccles and District Lions member has received a special recognition award.
During the recent charter dinner Keith Moore, president of the club, presented Dermot Wesley-Smith with the Melvin Jones Fellowship. Mr Moore said: “The Melvin Jones Fellowship is the highest accolade a Lion’s member can have bestowed upon them. It’s given to an individual for their dedication and outstanding service to Lionism over many years.
“Dermot has served as welfare and service chairman within the club for many years and is always keen to help those individuals less fortunate. His tireless work and dogged enthusiasm is a fine example to us all.
“Dermot has been an ever present figure within the community of Beccles too and is still very active within the May Centre despite only recently retiring as its chairman.
Mrs Wesley Smith said: “This is a total surprise and an unexpected honour to become a member of the Melvin Jones Fellowship.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t know what to say. I know I couldn’t have done what I have done over the last 35 years without the support and patience of my wife Christine, she has supported me totally over the years and that has enabled me to do more work for the Lions and in turn for the community. “I really do enjoy my role as chairman of the welfare and service committee within the club.
“I want to take this opportunity to thank my fellow club members for acknowledging me in this way, although really we are all in this together helping people wherever we can.”
- 1 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 2 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 3 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 1960s music night to raise hospital funds
- 7 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 8 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 9 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
- 10 Chance to have your say on the next 15 years in Bungay
For more information about the Lions call Janet Ramsden on 01502 514284 or visit www.beccleslions.org.uk.