Man breached restraining order by texting ex in attempt to rekindle relationship

Eric Neale appeared at Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court. Picture: Jamie Honeywood

Eric Neale appeared at Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court. Picture: Jamie Honeywood - Credit: Archant

A recovering alcoholic’s attempts to get back with his former partner via text messages put him in breach of a restraining order.

Great Yarmouth Magistrates Court heard on Wednesday (August 7) that Eric Neale was banned from contacting his former partner following an earlier conviction after he threw his mobile phone at her.

But in July he contacted her on two occasions, the court heard.

The first time Neale, 50, of Peddars Lane, Beccles, said: "I am really sorry, hope you are okay."

Days later he sent a trio of messages stating first that he loved her, then that he would kill himself, ending with: "I guess it's a no then."

You may also want to watch:

Emma Wright, for the prosecution, said: "The defendant was issued with a restraining order by this court. It was made in respect of his ex-partner not to go to her address or contact her following an offence of battery.

"He has contacted her on two occasions."

Most Read

She added: "He says he did also hope to get back with her."

James Hartley, defending, said the couple were in a relationship for three years and kept their own addresses.

He said: "It is fair to say Mr Neale has quite major problems with drink. He admitted the assault, he had thrown his telephone at her.

"It hit her in the face and caused her some injury. He went home and called the police.

"He did make efforts to keep away from her.

"However, after drinking he started to become somewhat morose and wanted to see if she would communicate with him.

"I can at least say they are not threatening or abusive and he did not go to her address.

"And by the time the last message was sent he realised she wanted no contact with him."

He added that at the time of his arrest his alcohol reading was so high police took him to A&E.

He said Neale had since deleted his former partner's number from his phone and was in a new relationship.

The court heard he went to AA meetings up to four times a week and had a sponsor he could call anytime.

Neale was told restraining orders were put in place "for good reason" and that further breaches could land him in jail.

He was fined £100, ordered to pay costs of £85, and a victim surcharge of £85.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter