Beccles Netball Club continues to grow with second senior team
- Credit: Archant
It started out as a group of mums playing netball to keep fit, but five years on Beccles Netball Club has grown into a thriving club with over 50 senior and junior members.
The club was formed in 2011 from a Back to Netball group, with 11 members who wanted to keep fit but endorse an element of competitiveness too.
Now the club has two senior teams playing in the Lowestoft Netball League - the Bluebirds and the Hawks - as well as around 30 junior members.
The junior section has competed at the UEA Sportspark in Norwich, entering three teams with players aged from 11 to 15-years-old.
Beccles Netball Club coach Kim Shrubsall said: “I am absolutely thrilled at how far we have progressed with the development of the club.
“We now have a second team in the senior section, Beccles Hawks, who have only been playing in the league for one season. The team are quite competitive but have also worked really well together. This is no mean feat considering most of these ladies did not know each other at the start of attending the club.
“I am also overwhelmed at how many participants we have within the junior section. I wanted to have a club for under 15 year old girls who are determined to develop their knowledge and skills within the netball world. England Netball is always on the lookout for new players and is actively looking around the East Anglia area.”
- 1 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 2 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 3 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 4 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 5 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 6 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 7 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 8 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 9 Appeal for more Suffolk blood donors to prevent stocks running low
- 10 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
The senior section consists of various levels of experience and ages range from 16 to 50 plus.
Miss Shrubsall said: “It’s not only about netball, it is about ladies who want to keep fit and have fun and also a way of socialising.”
The club is always keen to welcome new members and is on the look out for a bigger place to train.
“It is a shame there are not enough facilities in the Waveney area to host the demands of a big club,” said Miss Shrubsall. “We are always looking for bigger and better netball courts which are not available at this time.”
The senior section has recently received sponsorship from Allens Cadge and Gilbert solicitors for hooded training tops.
Both teams train at Beccles Sports Centre on Thursday nights, with the juniors from 6pm to 7pm and the seniors from 7pm to 8pm.
Anyone who would like to join can contact Miss Shrubsall on 07973732888.