'Everyone recognises me now' - Plant continues to grow at rapid rate
- Credit: Danielle Booden
The proud owner of a fast growing agave regina plant has reflected on becoming a Beccles town celebrity.
Last week, Philip Roberts, 84, was shocked to discover that his agave regina plant bought 42 years ago from a garden centre near Camber Sands Pontins suddenly started growing 8 inches a day.
Fast forward a week and the plant has grown another two feet, with Mr Roberts' grandson expecting the plant to possibly grow an extra one to two feet in height.
Mr Roberts said: "Since the article was published so many people have stopped me in Beccles, recognising me as the owner of the huge plant.
"Everyone recognises me now and they have been asking when the plant is expected to bloom.
"The truth is we are really not sure but he will certainly look magnificent once this process starts.
You may also want to watch:
"He's still in the garden, he's simply too big now for either the house or the conservatory."
- 1 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 2 More than 150 people enjoy town's first ever Pride event
- 3 Banned motorist admits dangerous driving around town
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 Iconic hospital likely to be sold to private developer
- 7 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
- 8 Care worker in court for causing A145 motorcycle crash
- 9 New signs to be installed after grandmother killed crossing A143
- 10 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests