Beccles pupil warns drivers with school gate safety banner
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A young pupil’s banner is helping to stop illegal parking outside a Beccles primary school.
Unique, a pupil at Albert Pye Primary, won a competition set by the school to create a sign to warn parents dropping their children off at the school that they cannot park outside the school gates.
Stuart McKenzie, a teaching assistant at the school, said cars stopping on the narrow road was dangerous, and by running the competition it helped the children to learn why it was a hazard too.
He said: “We ran the competition to teach the children why it was dangerous and then they could explain to their parents about it and tell them what they felt.”
The competition, which was the idea of the school’s junior safety officers Josh and Holly, had 48 entries from across the school.
You may also want to watch:
“We were really, really pleased,” said Mr McKenzie. “Brothers and sisters made them and friends worked together. The standard was very high. We chose Unique’s design as we felt hers got the message across the clearest.”
The 10-year-old said: “It feels good to see my banner up. It took me one night to come up with the main idea and one night to colour it in. Nobody’s really been parking there now.”
- 1 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 4 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 5 Hunt continuing for man who drove at cyclist
- 6 'A long time coming' - gyms welcome people back for April 12 reopening
- 7 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 8 Crash between car and scooter on busy Norfolk road
- 9 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'This is not okay!' - Anger at waste dumped on village field
The junior safety officers are going further with the issue and are writing a letter to the council to ask if the double yellow lines and wording on the road can be repainted.
Is your school holding a special competition? Send the details to email@example.com