Beccles pupil warns drivers with school gate safety banner
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A young pupil’s banner is helping to stop illegal parking outside a Beccles primary school.
Unique, a pupil at Albert Pye Primary, won a competition set by the school to create a sign to warn parents dropping their children off at the school that they cannot park outside the school gates.
Stuart McKenzie, a teaching assistant at the school, said cars stopping on the narrow road was dangerous, and by running the competition it helped the children to learn why it was a hazard too.
He said: “We ran the competition to teach the children why it was dangerous and then they could explain to their parents about it and tell them what they felt.”
The competition, which was the idea of the school’s junior safety officers Josh and Holly, had 48 entries from across the school.
“We were really, really pleased,” said Mr McKenzie. “Brothers and sisters made them and friends worked together. The standard was very high. We chose Unique’s design as we felt hers got the message across the clearest.”
The 10-year-old said: “It feels good to see my banner up. It took me one night to come up with the main idea and one night to colour it in. Nobody’s really been parking there now.”
- 1 Bungay Christmas street market to return this weekend
- 2 Garage forced open with mountain bikes stolen during burglary
- 3 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 4 Time to vote for the Journal awards finalists
- 5 Man taken to hospital after pedestrian struck by vehicle in north Suffolk
- 6 Suspended sentence for former church worker who indecently assaulted girl
- 7 Omicron variant will come to Suffolk - county prepares to tackle it
- 8 Booster vaccine clinics being held at town's pharmacy
- 9 Four fire crews called to bin lorry blaze in East Suffolk
- 10 Is this your dog? Police look to reunite Labrador with owner
The junior safety officers are going further with the issue and are writing a letter to the council to ask if the double yellow lines and wording on the road can be repainted.
Is your school holding a special competition? Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org