Beccles pupils crowned champions of international robotics competition
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A team of five students at Beccles Free School have been crowned junior world robotics champions at an international competition in Germany.
Representing their school and country in Leipzig at the weekend, the pupils, who worked under the team name Tempest, faced their counterparts from Japan, Taiwan, Portugal and China before beating Croatia in the final of the competition.
The CoSpace Robotics RoboCup is a computer coding competition where young programmers from around the world compete in computer-based robotics challenges including picking up objects and avoiding traps.
It tests the pupils’ ability to write code and program robots as well as develop mathematical skills.
Johann Don-Daniel, robotics team lead at Beccles Free School, said: “We are completely amazed at the exceptional achievement of our RoboCup team, and we are so proud that they have brought home the junior world champions trophy.
You may also want to watch:
“The team works incredibly well together and have shown fantastic dedication in preparing for the competition.”
This is the second year the school has represented the UK in the RoboCup competition, after coming second at the competition in China last year.
- 1 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 2 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 5 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
- 6 Christmas trees light up care farm’s day as it helps vulnerable through dark times
- 7 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 8 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 9 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 10 Council vows to find answers to flooding issue
Team captain Sam Florido, a Year 9 pupil who competed in China in 2015, said: “We had so much motivation because we came in second place last year, it was such an achievement it made us think it was possible to get that one step further.
“We were really determined.”