Beccles pupils crowned champions of international robotics competition
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A team of five students at Beccles Free School have been crowned junior world robotics champions at an international competition in Germany.
Representing their school and country in Leipzig at the weekend, the pupils, who worked under the team name Tempest, faced their counterparts from Japan, Taiwan, Portugal and China before beating Croatia in the final of the competition.
The CoSpace Robotics RoboCup is a computer coding competition where young programmers from around the world compete in computer-based robotics challenges including picking up objects and avoiding traps.
It tests the pupils’ ability to write code and program robots as well as develop mathematical skills.
Johann Don-Daniel, robotics team lead at Beccles Free School, said: “We are completely amazed at the exceptional achievement of our RoboCup team, and we are so proud that they have brought home the junior world champions trophy.
You may also want to watch:
“The team works incredibly well together and have shown fantastic dedication in preparing for the competition.”
This is the second year the school has represented the UK in the RoboCup competition, after coming second at the competition in China last year.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 9 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 10 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
Team captain Sam Florido, a Year 9 pupil who competed in China in 2015, said: “We had so much motivation because we came in second place last year, it was such an achievement it made us think it was possible to get that one step further.
“We were really determined.”