Beccles restaurant collects donations of unwanted food for homeless shelter
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A Beccles bar and restaurant is appealing for people to donate their unwanted and unopened food for a homeless shelter.
The Wine Vaults in Blyburgate will be collecting any in-date tins and packets from soup to biscuits to boxes of Christmas chocolates to be sent to people who really need them.
The appeal will last all month before owner Jola Makowska takes the collection to a local soup kitchen for the homeless.
Miss Makowska said she hoped to collect as many items as possible.
“We all do it, we buy things over Christmas and then we don’t eat them and they sit there getting out of date,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“Someone I know has done a collection and it gave me the idea for us to try and help. I know myself you buy all these chocolates and you receive chocolates as presents but they never get eaten, but somebody else will have a use for them who hasn’t got the money to buy them.”
- 1 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 2 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 3 Tributes paid to snowdrop expert 'with a twinkle in his eye'
- 4 More fatal crashes on Suffolk roads this year already than whole of 2020
- 5 ‘World class’ Suffolk engineering company gets royal seal of approval
- 6 Disappointment as Norfolk vs Suffolk dwile flonking tournament postponed
- 7 Father and son rescued by lifeguards after their boat capsized out at sea
- 8 Fire crews called to help baby seagull trapped in netting
- 9 Staff shortages in Southwold as workers isolate after Latitude Festival
- 10 Revealed: Where petrol prices are cheapest in Suffolk