Beccles retains Fairtrade status
- Credit: Archant
Beccles has been awarded a certificate to recognise its continued status as a Fairtrade Town.
Mayor Hugh Taylor accepted the award this week on behalf of the town council from Wendy Moxon and Elizabeth Bracken of the Beccles Fairtrade Steering Group.
The renewal of the status follows work by the group in recent months, supported by the council, to ensure that the requirements laid down for retention of Fairtrade status were met in full.
Mr Taylor congratulated the Fairtrade Group for enabling renewal to be achieved and thanked them for their hard work, enthusiasm and dedication to the cause of Fairtrade in Beccles.
The council said it tried to use Fairtrade products itself and joined with the Beccles Fairtrade Steering Group in encouraging local businesses to stock Fairtrade products in and around the town, and members of the public, to purchase them.
You may also want to watch:
The accolade is awarded by the Fairtrade Foundation when a town can demonstrate that it has met certain criteria; the town council has to pass a resolution in support, and a percentage of retail and catering outlets and other businesses must show their commitment by offering fairly traded goods to their customers and/or employees.
Beccles was first awarded Fairtrade status in January 2008 after years of campaigning. Renewal is required every two years.
- 1 How do Tier 1 areas like Cornwall compare to Suffolk?
- 2 Suffolk to be in Tier Two in local lockdown system
- 3 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 4 Appeal to trace owner after gold ring is found
- 5 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 6 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 7 Town's post office to close within a month
- 8 'Christmas is happening in Beccles' - Theatre's relief as restrictions lifted
- 9 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 10 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
To learn more about Fairtrade in the local area, visit www.facebook.com/FairtradeBeccles.