Beccles retains Fairtrade status
- Credit: Archant
Beccles has been awarded a certificate to recognise its continued status as a Fairtrade Town.
Mayor Hugh Taylor accepted the award this week on behalf of the town council from Wendy Moxon and Elizabeth Bracken of the Beccles Fairtrade Steering Group.
The renewal of the status follows work by the group in recent months, supported by the council, to ensure that the requirements laid down for retention of Fairtrade status were met in full.
Mr Taylor congratulated the Fairtrade Group for enabling renewal to be achieved and thanked them for their hard work, enthusiasm and dedication to the cause of Fairtrade in Beccles.
The council said it tried to use Fairtrade products itself and joined with the Beccles Fairtrade Steering Group in encouraging local businesses to stock Fairtrade products in and around the town, and members of the public, to purchase them.
You may also want to watch:
The accolade is awarded by the Fairtrade Foundation when a town can demonstrate that it has met certain criteria; the town council has to pass a resolution in support, and a percentage of retail and catering outlets and other businesses must show their commitment by offering fairly traded goods to their customers and/or employees.
Beccles was first awarded Fairtrade status in January 2008 after years of campaigning. Renewal is required every two years.
- 1 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 2 Village pub opens brand new café
- 3 New shop sells items made by people who learnt crafts in lockdown
- 4 Your Beccles and Bungay Journal has a new community editor
- 5 Man makes comments to 18-year-old before kissing her hand in Bungay
- 6 Pinocchio the £6,700 pedigree bull smashes cattle market's price record
- 7 Traffic starting to build after crash in Beccles
- 8 Suspected drug driver arrested after serious crash with motorcyclist
- 9 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 10 Gull numbers 'highest in years' as town to use drones to investigate issue
To learn more about Fairtrade in the local area, visit www.facebook.com/FairtradeBeccles.