Beccles retains Fairtrade status
- Credit: Archant
Beccles has been awarded a certificate to recognise its continued status as a Fairtrade Town.
Mayor Hugh Taylor accepted the award this week on behalf of the town council from Wendy Moxon and Elizabeth Bracken of the Beccles Fairtrade Steering Group.
The renewal of the status follows work by the group in recent months, supported by the council, to ensure that the requirements laid down for retention of Fairtrade status were met in full.
Mr Taylor congratulated the Fairtrade Group for enabling renewal to be achieved and thanked them for their hard work, enthusiasm and dedication to the cause of Fairtrade in Beccles.
The council said it tried to use Fairtrade products itself and joined with the Beccles Fairtrade Steering Group in encouraging local businesses to stock Fairtrade products in and around the town, and members of the public, to purchase them.
The accolade is awarded by the Fairtrade Foundation when a town can demonstrate that it has met certain criteria; the town council has to pass a resolution in support, and a percentage of retail and catering outlets and other businesses must show their commitment by offering fairly traded goods to their customers and/or employees.
Beccles was first awarded Fairtrade status in January 2008 after years of campaigning. Renewal is required every two years.
- 1 Hidden aspects of Beccles uncovered in new book
- 2 Call for flat roof owners to help fight gull problem
- 3 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 4 Vital new community bus service launches to help isolated get out and about
- 5 MP reiterates call for PM to quit after 'inevitable' resignations
- 6 Family fun day on town meadow hailed a hit
- 7 Free hearing aids for teddy bears in Norwich this weekend
- 8 Have you seen artist's phenomenal sculptures made from cutlery?
- 9 Youth theatre group set to stage The Little Shop of Horrors
- 10 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
To learn more about Fairtrade in the local area, visit www.facebook.com/FairtradeBeccles.