Road remains closed while sinkhole is repaired
- Credit: Archant
A sinkhole in Beccles which began to open after torrential rain in the region will be repaired in the next two days, Anglia Water has said.
A sinkhole which began to open after torrential rain in the region will be repaired in the next two days, Anglia Water has said.
The junction between the A145 Peddars Lane and Ingate in Blyburgate was closed after heavy rain caused cracks to appear in the ground on Sunday, October 6.
A spokesperson for Suffolk Highways said: "Suffolk Highways is working with Anglian Water following a suspected problem with the sewerage system beneath the carriageway which is causing the road surface to rise."
Anglian Water was asked to prioritise this as a matter of urgency.
On Tuesday, October 8, the company said they will have the road repaired by Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
They said: "Our teams have been investigating damage to a manhole cover on Blyburgate in Beccles. Although there is no damage to the sewer pipe itself, the sheer volume of extra rainfall in the sewer and manhole chamber has meant water has seeped underneath the layer of tarmac and caused damage to the road surface.
"Our teams have closed the road temporarily and will be making the necessary repairs over the next two days.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 4 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 5 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 6 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 7 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 8 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 Woman's body found at Loddon home
"We're sorry if this work causes any inconvenience, we'll have things back to normal as quickly as possible."