Beccles school shortlisted for prestigious education award
- Credit: Archant © 2012
A Beccles school has been shortlisted among the top eight secondary schools in the country for the prestigious annual TES Schools Awards.
Sir John Leman High School in Beccles will be competing against seven other schools from across the country to take home of the prize of secondary school of the year.
The Leman will be up against Ark St Alban’s Academy, Birmingham, Fulham Cross Girls’ School, London, Monkseaton High School, Tyne and Wear, Rushcliffe School, Nottingham, St Gregory’s Catholic Science College, Middlesex, St Ninian’s High School, Glasgow, and Stanley Park High, Surrey.
The winner will be revealed at an awards ceremony and dinner in London on June 24, along with the winners of 16 other categories.
Jeremy Rowe, headteacher of Sir John Leman High School said: “I’m incredibly proud of what we have achieved in my time as headteacher of Sir John Leman High School.
You may also want to watch:
“We set out, in difficult times, to become one of the finest schools in the country. Being officially recognised as being one of England’s eight best secondary schools underlines that for Sir John Leman High School, our brilliant staff and wonderful students, we can now confidently proclaim mission accomplished.”
The TES Schools Awards celebrate the extraordinary commitment, quality and innovation shown by teachers and support staff across the UK.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 5 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
The secondary school of the year title will be awarded to a school for its performance in the previous 12 months, along with those which have experienced rapid improvement or maintained continued excellence.
As well as academic achievement, the judges will be looking for innovation, imagination and efforts to develop children in ways that go beyond the league tables.
The other categories include primary school of the year, headteacher of the year and healthy school of the year, with new accolades introduced last year for teacher bloggers and early years settings, in addition to an award for the most creative school.
The ceremony will be held at the Grosvenor House Hotel in Park Lane.
Has your school received a special award? Email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01502 712060.