Beccles Sea Cadet Unit launches new band project
- Credit: Archant
Musicians aged between 12 and 18-years-old are being sought for a new cadet band which is being launched by the Beccles Sea Cadet Unit this month.
The band, which is open to youngsters with or without musical experience, will incorporate a Corps of Drums as well as musicians who will learn and develop their skills under the experienced hand of one of the unit’s staff instructors John Harris.
Musicians can join either as Sea Cadets or Royal Marine Cadets and take full advantage of the wide range of other activities on offer, as well as working towards regular regional and national events with other unit bands from across the country.
Mr Harris, who has over 30 years experience as a professional drummer as well as six years experience training and developing a cadet drum and bugle corps, said: “Drummers and musicians will learn a range of music taken from the extensive resource bank held by the organisation nationally, including military pieces, extracts from TV and films as well as popular and well known melodies ensuring a wide variety of music is available to those taking part.
“The Corps of Drums will be trained on both the side drum and bugle and take their place at the front of the band as is the Royal Marine tradition. “They can look forward to learning some of the complex and demanding drum routines performed by the Royal Marines at national events including the Mountbatten Festival of Music and the Royal Edinburgh Tattoo.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Harris has undergone training and instruction with the Royal Marine Band Service in Portsmouth.
He said: “The Beccles Sea Cadet Unit already have a range of military drums and instruments at their disposal and will be working hard to raise funds for further resources, but are keen to encourage any local young people who would like to be part of this exciting new project to come along to their headquarters on Fen Lane next to the River Waveney to find out more.”
- 1 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 2 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 3 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 1960s music night to raise hospital funds
- 7 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 8 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 9 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 10 Damaged opiate vials at hospital 'likely a manufacturing fault'
Band training nights will be held every Thursday from 7.15pm to 9.15pm. The unit would also like to welcome any adult volunteers who have instrumental expertise to share their skills and knowledge in training band members and be part of the unit’s non-uniformed staff base. For more information visit www.sea-cadets.org/beccles or contact Mr Harris on 07957823227.