Beccles social enterprise needs more volunteers to help it expand
- Credit: Lee Blanchflower
A Beccles social enterprise scheme supporting vulnerable people is expanding.
Sharel@Step, based on Northgate, has received funding from charity foundations which means they can now take on extra premises for their furniture department.
The community-based project, which also houses a tea room and the food bank, now hopes to find a warehouse or similar space somewhere in the area where people can go and browse extra furniture for sale one day a week.
And as part of its expansion, Sharel is also looking for new volunteers and a treasurer.
Project director Theresa Cumbers said: “We want a warehouse so we can show the furniture off more.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re looking after vulnerable people and bringing the community together.
“Those that can give, give and those that need receive. We have so much hidden poverty in lovely Beccles.
- 1 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 2 Award-winning Suffolk farm announces first ever pop-up restaurant
- 3 Kind-hearted man donates money to vital oxygen therapy centre
- 4 Appeal to find missing woman last seen near Suffolk coast
- 5 Films to be screened across district as silent outdoor cinema launches
- 6 New day care centre set to open in former Methodist church
- 7 Lorry in collision with a tree near Halesworth
- 8 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 9 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 10 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
“And we know there are wonderful people out there who have retired and maybe have a couple of hours a week to give, they will get full training and don’t need to have any experience.”
And one of the volunteers who can recommend lending a hand is 17-year-old Molly French, who has been working at Sharel over the summer.
“I’ve improved my people skills and I’m much more confident,” she said. “I’m hoping to go to university and it is good experience.”
Anyone who can offer Sharel space to store furniture which can be opened up one day a week, or would like to volunteer, can call 01502 341625 or visit the shop for a chat.