Beccles slimmers share their inspirational stories after losing 10st in 2017
- Credit: Archant
Two Beccles slimmers are starting 2018 with a new figure and a confidence boost after losing ten stone between them.
Gary Mower weighed over 24 stone at his heaviest and wore 46-inch waist trousers.
He decided to join Slimming World in December 2016 after trying to lose weight on his own for many years.
The 46-year-old said: “I have several health conditions and with the mountain of medication I take the daily struggles with arthritic pain, the inability to interact with others very well and my reduced mobility it just became too hard to cope and manage myself to my best ability.
“My wife Sarah joined Slimming World in Worlingham in May 2015 with my daughter and her sisters and I could see they were all doing really well and happy with their weight losses. She tried to encourage me to eat meals she was cooking and I did really enjoy the curries, barbecue pulled pork and lots of other recipes. I did lose some weight but started to pile it back on again when my mother became ill.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Mower finally joined the group a few days after Christmas in 2016 and lost 5.5lb in his first week.
“I couldn’t believe it,” he said. “I knew then I was ready to commit.”
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 3 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 4 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 5 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 6 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 7 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 What we know about Prince Philip's funeral at Windsor
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk PCC candidates outline priorities
By the end of March Mr Mower had lost 2st 9.5lb and in 39 weeks he reached his target weight having lost 6st. Now weighing 15st 3.5lb he is healthier and happier and is able to fit into 32-inch waist trousers.
Fellow Beccles slimmer Val Baker joined in March last year weighing 18st 11.5lb and at 5ft tall decided enough was enough.
She walked in with the aid of two walking sticks after hurting her back and couldn’t walk for six months.
She said: “I felt sorry for myself and food soon became my best friend.”
Mrs Baker, 69, lost 4st in 36 weeks and now walks into group without the aid of her sticks.
She said: “I can’t believe how much my life has changed. I can now buy clothes that fit, I’ve got so much more self-confidence. The highlight was when I recently flew to Tenerife on holiday and I didn’t have to ask for an extension for the seat belt. My health has improved greatly and my back is almost back to normal.”
Slimming World consultant Liz Sunderland has been helping people lose weight since June 2016 and has just launched a new group in Beccles at Hungate Hall at 8.30am. She also runs groups at Worlingham Primary School on Tuesdays at 5.30pm and 7.30pm.
For more information visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk