Boat trips on popular Big Dog Ferry cancelled as engine fails
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Hundreds of people have been left disappointed after one of the region’s most popular summertime attractions broke down.
Boat trips aboard the Big Dog Ferry, which runs between Beccles Lido and the Locks Inn at Geldeston, have been cancelled until further notice following the failure of its engine.
Having been ferrying both locals and holidaymakers along the River Waveney since Good Friday, the outboard motor malfunctioned earlier today - just as thousands of school children began enjoying the summer holidays.
As the scorching sunshine continues to beat down, Big Dog Ferry volunteer Yanny Mac admitted the timing couldn’t have been much worse.
“With the summer holidays starting it’s absolutely terrible timing,” he said. “We’d like to issue a massive apology to anyone who has already booked to ride the ferry.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve been really busy, chugging up and down the river all day with 12 people per trip. With the boiling heat as well, the engine simply couldn’t cope in the end.
“An engineer is coming out to have a look and it could be fixed for a few days, but ultimately we’re in desperate need of a decent new motor.”
- 1 Woman in court for taking 'one bite' of Co-op sandwich
- 2 Two taken to hospital after car hits tree on A143
- 3 Former mayor who 'spent life helping town' remembered
- 4 Revealed: 11 more coronavirus vaccination centres set to open
- 5 Flood alert issued for parts of Norfolk and Suffolk
- 6 Your chance to shape Beccles' future over next 20 years
- 7 Five more deaths at hospital as Covid patients occupy one-third of beds
- 8 Police warning to public after spate of metal thefts
- 9 'I reached breaking point': How Covid hit our mental health
- 10 11 patients with Covid die in three days at Norfolk hospital
The ferry, which offers a relaxing three-mile journey, is under the ownership of Beccles Lido Limited and is run on an entirely voluntary basis.
Donations are relied upon in order to keep it in operation and, as before, public generosity will be required to continue exhibiting the beauty of the Waveney Valley.
“We’re going to need the good people of Beccles and beyond to put their hands in their pockets and help us out,” added Mr Mac.
“Ideally we’ll host some fundraising events later in the year and of course we’ll be raising money at the conker tournament at the Locks Inn.
“Along with the Lido, the Big Dog Ferry is the bread and butter of Beccles so we really need to get it up and running again as soon as possible.”
Anyone looking to take a trip is advised to check the ferry is running beforehand by calling the operators on 07532072761.