Big Dog Ferry gets a new lick of paint ready for the new season
- Credit: Nick Butcher
One of Beccles’ most popular attractions will be back in its natural habitat at the end of the month with a few changes to further appeal to townsfolk and tourists.
The Big Dog Ferry is currently docking on dry land at Beccles Lido while it undergoes a re-paint.
It will be re-launched on Friday, March 25, with three new skippers, including Molly Naylor, the first female to join the crew.
The ferry has previously provided a 40-minute boat journey along the River Waveney between Beccles Lido and Geldeston Locks, but this year the team are starting earlier and finishing later, extending trips to 90 minutes and offering a shuttle service from the quay.
In preparation, Beccles volunteer litter picking group the Bombles will join the crew on Saturday, March 19, to clean up both sides of the river and its banks.
You may also want to watch:
Yanny Mac, ferry helmsman, said they were on the lookout for new volunteers to help with both the clean up and manning the ferry.
He said: “We are going to start boat trips at 9am this year to allow those who want to go out to see the otters and buzzards to do that and we are also doing a shuttle service from the quay and various other requests. We have got three more volunteers so there are now six of us.”
- 1 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 4 Parishes planning Italian pop-up night in aid of village hall
- 5 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 6 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
- 7 Village pub opens brand new café
- 8 New shop sells items made by people who learnt crafts in lockdown
- 9 Traffic starting to build after crash in Beccles
- 10 Around one in 10 East Suffolk adults remain unvaccinated
The team have got plenty of fundraising events planned including a dwile flonking competition with music from Owl and Wolves on May 15, at Geldeston Locks and a show by tribute band More Madness at Beccles Public Hall on April 9.
Anyone who would like to volunteer to help the Big Dog Ferry can call 07532072761.
Have you got a story? Email email@example.com