Big Dog Ferry gets ready to set sail
- Credit: Nick Butcher
One of Beccles’ most popular and quirky attractions will be setting sail again next week.
The Big Dog Ferry will be back in the water on Good Friday, March 30, offering trips up and down the River Waveney until mid October.
The ferry offers a regular daily timetabled service between Beccles Lido, in Puddingmoor, and the Geldeston Locks Inn. The ferry also stops on request at the Marina and Three Rivers Campsite in Geldeston.
A spokesman said: “It is a relaxing three mile boat journey along the River Waveney with the opportunity to enjoy the wildlife en route.
“With up to five return trips daily there is plenty of time to disembark and enjoy a meal, a drink or the music at The Locks Inn, to explore Geldeston which has lots of attractions including the Wherry Inn and Mandy’s Famous Farmhouse Pickles, or stay on board for a round trip. There is also an early 9am trip for advance bookings only – early mornings on the river are magical.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone feeling energetic can also take a one-way ticket and walk back, stopping at other local attractions including Maisebrooke Farm in Shipmeadow.
Skipper Carl Murray is the longest serving member of the Big Dog crew, having been sailing up and down the river since it was re-launched under Beccles Lido Limited ownership in 2012.
- 1 Three women in court charged with drug dealing offences in Bungay
- 2 New Suffolk 'get away from it all' glamping site go-ahead
- 3 Five level crossing close shaves in Norfolk and Waveney
- 4 Vulnerable man 'who couldn't cope in prison' spared jail
- 5 'A proper Beccles character' - Tributes to 'gentle' father and bike shop owner
- 6 Craft ale's #MeToo moment: Are breweries equal enough?
- 7 Grandmother killed in A143 crash while walking home with husband
- 8 Homes challenged to create their own wildflower biodiversity spots
- 9 Walk-in Covid vaccine clinic to be held in town pharmacy
- 10 Anger at developer's consultation over 950 new homes
Mr Murray said: “It really is a wonderful way to travel through the beautiful Waveney Valley and enjoy the river. There is so much wildlife, and in addition to the swans that nest near the lido we also see otters, kingfishers, marsh harriers and much more.”
As usual there will be various fundraising events through the season to keep the ferry in operation. Full details will be posted on the Big Dog’s Facebook page at facebook.com/bigdogferrybeccles, along with photos and videos of life on the river.
For the full timetable and details of how to book a trip, visit www.bigdogferry.co.uk or call the skippers on 07532072761.