Birthday party raises funds for Halesworth support centre
- Credit: Archant
Birthdays are traditionally a time to receive gifts, but a Halesworth hairdresser decided her 21st would be a time to give instead.
Lauren Friend held a 1950s rock and roll themed party to mark the milestone, and raised over £1,000 for Halesworth Community Nursing Care Fund in the process.
The fund aims to build an Information and Support Centre (ISC) to provide holistic services for people with cancer and other life-limiting illnesses, their families and carers.
Miss Friend said: “My mum and dad asked if I’d like a party for my birthday, and I decided to do it for charity as it’s so important to me to get the Information and Support Centre up and running.
“My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012 so our family really appreciates the difference the centre will make. It would have been a massive help to us when she was ill, especially when she wasn’t feeling well and had to travel to Gorleston and Norwich for support.
You may also want to watch:
“We really need something closer to home for people who live in Halesworth and the surrounding area.
“I really love the 1950s and 60s, so we decided on the 50s rock ‘n’ roll theme and opened the evening to everyone. We were really pleased that we raised so much and it was definitely a birthday to remember.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 Diversions in place as water main works take place in Loddon
- 4 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 5 Stunning swan photo shot in Norfolk gains national recognition
- 6 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 7 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 8 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 9 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
The party, held last month, raised £1,030 which has now been presented to the charity. It needs to raise £714,000 to build the centre on land next to Cutlers Hill Surgery in Halesworth.
ISC chairman Ted Edwards said: “We are so grateful to Lauren and her mum Karen for organising this fantastic fundraiser to mark Lauren’s milestone birthday, and to everyone who went to the party and donated so generously.
“We have been really lucky to have received such great support from our local community throughout the project, with everyone pulling together to raise the money we need to start work on this important facility.
“We are now putting all of our efforts into the final push to get us to the £714,00 mark so that local people can start benefiting from the facilities the centre will offer as soon as possible.”
For more information about the ISC project or to make a donation, visit www.halesworthhealth.org/information-and-support-centre
Have you got a story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org