Boost for Beccles guide’s Japanese adventure
- Credit: Archant
A cheque for £400 has been presented by the Beccles and District Lions Club to help a young girl guide leader travel to Japan.
Ellen Rogers, who is part of the Beccles Girl Guides group, will be travelling to the 23rd World Scout Jamboree in Japan in July, and has been working hard to raise the £3,400 needed to pay for the trip. The 16-year-old is one of seven Girlguiding Anglia Senior Section, 27 Bedfordshire scouts and two guides from Gibraltar who will be travelling as a unit, for this once-in-a-lifetime international experience.
She said: “We will be staying in pairs with Japanese scouting families in Toyama Prefecture. Toyama City is an industrial port on the west coast of the main island of Japan, 200 miles west of Tokyo. At the World Jamboree there will be lots of exciting activities and it’s being held on a purpose built site in Kirara-hama, near to the Prefecture. We will also be lucky enough to travel on the famous Japanese Bullet Train to visit Tokyo for a few days before travelling home.”
The cheque was presented to Ellen following a presentation to the club.
President Chris Eglington said: “We are very pleased to be able to support Ellen in this small way, as she has had to raise £3,400 in order for her to make the trip. She has been working very hard to achieve it too. From organising discos to making little fridge magnets and to even designing the logo that the group will be wearing at the World Jamboree.”
You may also want to watch:
To find out more about the work done by the Lions visit www.beccleslions.org.uk
- 1 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 2 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 3 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 8 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day