Boost for Beccles guide’s Japanese adventure
- Credit: Archant
A cheque for £400 has been presented by the Beccles and District Lions Club to help a young girl guide leader travel to Japan.
Ellen Rogers, who is part of the Beccles Girl Guides group, will be travelling to the 23rd World Scout Jamboree in Japan in July, and has been working hard to raise the £3,400 needed to pay for the trip. The 16-year-old is one of seven Girlguiding Anglia Senior Section, 27 Bedfordshire scouts and two guides from Gibraltar who will be travelling as a unit, for this once-in-a-lifetime international experience.
She said: “We will be staying in pairs with Japanese scouting families in Toyama Prefecture. Toyama City is an industrial port on the west coast of the main island of Japan, 200 miles west of Tokyo. At the World Jamboree there will be lots of exciting activities and it’s being held on a purpose built site in Kirara-hama, near to the Prefecture. We will also be lucky enough to travel on the famous Japanese Bullet Train to visit Tokyo for a few days before travelling home.”
The cheque was presented to Ellen following a presentation to the club.
President Chris Eglington said: “We are very pleased to be able to support Ellen in this small way, as she has had to raise £3,400 in order for her to make the trip. She has been working very hard to achieve it too. From organising discos to making little fridge magnets and to even designing the logo that the group will be wearing at the World Jamboree.”
You may also want to watch:
To find out more about the work done by the Lions visit www.beccleslions.org.uk
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Lack of information sharing 'could lead to more deaths' after 95-year-old attacked
- 4 Free parking for 30 minutes at 48 car parks
- 5 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 6 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 7 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 8 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 9 Actor lands New York big break after overcoming father's death
- 10 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town