Boost for local causes after success of steam rally
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Good causes in the north Suffolk area have received a £30,000 boost following last year’s successful Grand Henham Steam Rally.
A “thank you” party was held recently by the organisers of the rally for all those who helped in staging last year’s event. The party, which was held at the Southwold Golf Club, was attended by more than 70 people.
During the evening the chairman of the organising committee, Mike Powell-Evans, thanked all those involved in helping to make the special 40th Anniversary Rally such a success.
He then presented cheques worth, in total, over £30,000 to the three main charities supported by the rally _ Wangford and District Community Council, Southwold (Sole Bay) Lions Club and the parochial church councils of Sotherton, Wangford cum Henham and Uggeshall, along with a donation to the local RNLI, a charity chosen by the organising committee as their additional good cause for 2014.
In thanking all those present, Mr Powell-Evans made particular reference to the many people who put so much time and effort into helping make the rally such a success even though they are not directly involved with the main sponsoring organisations.
A rally spokesman said: “The 2015 Grand Henham Steam Rally will be held on September 19 and 20, and will be paying a special tribute to Garretts of Leiston in addition to the extensive display of vintage machinery and a full programme of family entertainment.
“It’s a formula that has established the rally as such a major event in the area.”
- 1 Town start season with home win
- 2 Is size the secret of south Norfolk's 'up and coming' village?
- 3 Imaginations soar as popular sculpture trail returns
- 4 Enjoy the wonders of hidden exotic garden at summer open days
- 5 League of Friends of Hospital raise & invest staggering sum of money
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Roll-out of free Wi-Fi continues in east Suffolk
- 8 Obituary: 'Remarkable' musician remembered with publication of new book
- 9 Britain's Got Talent star to perform at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 10 Town's real ale pub launches new menu with 'something for everyone'
For further details visit www.henhamsteamrally.com