Boost for local causes after success of steam rally
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Good causes in the north Suffolk area have received a £30,000 boost following last year’s successful Grand Henham Steam Rally.
A “thank you” party was held recently by the organisers of the rally for all those who helped in staging last year’s event. The party, which was held at the Southwold Golf Club, was attended by more than 70 people.
During the evening the chairman of the organising committee, Mike Powell-Evans, thanked all those involved in helping to make the special 40th Anniversary Rally such a success.
He then presented cheques worth, in total, over £30,000 to the three main charities supported by the rally _ Wangford and District Community Council, Southwold (Sole Bay) Lions Club and the parochial church councils of Sotherton, Wangford cum Henham and Uggeshall, along with a donation to the local RNLI, a charity chosen by the organising committee as their additional good cause for 2014.
In thanking all those present, Mr Powell-Evans made particular reference to the many people who put so much time and effort into helping make the rally such a success even though they are not directly involved with the main sponsoring organisations.
You may also want to watch:
A rally spokesman said: “The 2015 Grand Henham Steam Rally will be held on September 19 and 20, and will be paying a special tribute to Garretts of Leiston in addition to the extensive display of vintage machinery and a full programme of family entertainment.
“It’s a formula that has established the rally as such a major event in the area.”
- 1 Speed checks on A144 near Halesworth just weeks after fatal crash
- 2 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 New book chronicles one of the most tragic rail collisions in history
- 7 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 8 Business grants of up to £25,000 on offer to Covid-hit companies
- 9 50 unmissable nights out in Suffolk
- 10 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
For further details visit www.henhamsteamrally.com