Boost for porch fund at Beccles church
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It was a glorious weekend celebrating the history of Beccles and showcasing the best of the town.
And now money raised from the annual charter weekend has been donated to St Michael’s Church to help fund restoration of the South Porch.
The hugely successful weekend in July included an open garden trail, a free music event and a water bike race - helping raise thousands of pounds.
On Friday, Beccles mayor Hugh Taylor presented a cheque for £3,555.79 to the Friends of St Michael’s appeal in aid of the porch restoration.
He said: “The porch is in urgent need of restoration and performs a key role as the main entrance into Beccles’s most iconic building.
You may also want to watch:
“As the largest building available for public use in Beccles, St Michael’s is very much at the heart of the community and has been so for centuries.”
Mr Taylor thanked Suffolk County council for their support in organising the weekend, including county councillor Mark Bee, who he said ‘helped support the infrastructure which underpinned the weekend’.
- 1 New dance academy on the lookout for members of all abilities
- 2 Three women in court charged with drug dealing offences in Bungay
- 3 Investigations continue into 'suspicious' caravan fire that 'exploded'
- 4 Vulnerable man 'who couldn't cope in prison' spared jail
- 5 New Suffolk 'get away from it all' glamping site go-ahead
- 6 Five level crossing close shaves in Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 'A proper Beccles character' - Tributes to 'gentle' father and bike shop owner
- 8 Amazing! Photo sequence shows how marsh harrier grabbed a rabbit
- 9 Walk-in Covid vaccine clinic to be held in town pharmacy
- 10 Craft ale's #MeToo moment: Are breweries equal enough?
And plans are already underway for the next charter weekend, which will take place on July 2 and 3 2016.
The weekend, which celebrates the granting of the charter by Queen Elizabeth 1 on July 2 1584, will again include open gardens, music and arts and crafts events.
Anyone interested in inquiring about running other events over the charter weekend 2016 should contact the Town Hall on 01502 712 109 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.