Boost for porch fund at Beccles church
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It was a glorious weekend celebrating the history of Beccles and showcasing the best of the town.
And now money raised from the annual charter weekend has been donated to St Michael’s Church to help fund restoration of the South Porch.
The hugely successful weekend in July included an open garden trail, a free music event and a water bike race - helping raise thousands of pounds.
On Friday, Beccles mayor Hugh Taylor presented a cheque for £3,555.79 to the Friends of St Michael’s appeal in aid of the porch restoration.
He said: “The porch is in urgent need of restoration and performs a key role as the main entrance into Beccles’s most iconic building.
“As the largest building available for public use in Beccles, St Michael’s is very much at the heart of the community and has been so for centuries.”
Mr Taylor thanked Suffolk County council for their support in organising the weekend, including county councillor Mark Bee, who he said ‘helped support the infrastructure which underpinned the weekend’.
- 1 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
- 2 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 3 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 4 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 5 Chainsaws, drills and hedge trimmers stolen in farm burglary
- 6 Wanted woman arrested in Lowestoft
- 7 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 8 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 9 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 10 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
And plans are already underway for the next charter weekend, which will take place on July 2 and 3 2016.
The weekend, which celebrates the granting of the charter by Queen Elizabeth 1 on July 2 1584, will again include open gardens, music and arts and crafts events.
Anyone interested in inquiring about running other events over the charter weekend 2016 should contact the Town Hall on 01502 712 109 or email email@example.com.