Boost for porch fund at Beccles church
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It was a glorious weekend celebrating the history of Beccles and showcasing the best of the town.
And now money raised from the annual charter weekend has been donated to St Michael’s Church to help fund restoration of the South Porch.
The hugely successful weekend in July included an open garden trail, a free music event and a water bike race - helping raise thousands of pounds.
On Friday, Beccles mayor Hugh Taylor presented a cheque for £3,555.79 to the Friends of St Michael’s appeal in aid of the porch restoration.
He said: “The porch is in urgent need of restoration and performs a key role as the main entrance into Beccles’s most iconic building.
You may also want to watch:
“As the largest building available for public use in Beccles, St Michael’s is very much at the heart of the community and has been so for centuries.”
Mr Taylor thanked Suffolk County council for their support in organising the weekend, including county councillor Mark Bee, who he said ‘helped support the infrastructure which underpinned the weekend’.
- 1 All the events at Beccles Public Hall this autumn
- 2 Beccles' first post-pandemic charity ride is a success
- 3 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 4 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 5 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 6 Speed checks on A144 near Halesworth just weeks after fatal crash
- 7 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 8 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 9 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 10 New book chronicles one of the most tragic rail collisions in history
And plans are already underway for the next charter weekend, which will take place on July 2 and 3 2016.
The weekend, which celebrates the granting of the charter by Queen Elizabeth 1 on July 2 1584, will again include open gardens, music and arts and crafts events.
Anyone interested in inquiring about running other events over the charter weekend 2016 should contact the Town Hall on 01502 712 109 or email email@example.com.