Bungay move clear at top

Bungay moved a point clear at the top of the Anglian Combination Division One table as they recorded their fourth straight league win at Attleborough on Saturday.

BUNGAy moved a point clear at the top of the Anglian Combination Division One table as they recorded their fourth straight league win at Attleborough on Saturday.

The 2-1 victory was their third in succession away from home and came thanks to a Lee Henwood first half penalty and a fine header from Neil Renaut.

But once again the Black Dogs tested the nerves of their supporters as they let the home side back into the game with a sloppy goal and had to do some desperate defending in the last 15 minutes to keep ahead.

Manager Richard Daniels praised the side's display over 70 minutes and said they deserved the points, though the final 20 minutes were poor and they conceded a soft goal.

There was again a sold performance from the midfield trio of Paul Hunter, Renaut and Luke Field.

Field got in an early effort for Bungay that was just wide and at the other end Tom Daniels was in position to clear his lines in an Attleborough attack. A fine strike by Ed Collins brought an equally fine reflex save from the home keeper.

Most Read

Bungay weathered a spell of pressure to take a 23rd minute lead as Collins was clearly brought down in the area and Henwood stroked the spot kick low to the keeper's right.

A mistake by Craig Hunting in an otherwise solid display gave the home side an opening in the 43rd minute, but Mark Harvey was on hand to clear the danger.

Jimmy Bligh dived to turn away a well-struck effort for a corner, and soon after tipped a free-kick over the bar.

At the other end Collins chested down a cross into Field's path but he blazed the chance over.

For the first five minutes of the second half Bungay dominated and created several chances.

Field blasted another wide and Cai King, busy down the right, had three or four good shooting opportunities but failed to beat the keeper each time. Hunter was just too high with another effort. The second goal always looked likely and it came with 20 minutes left as Danny Wilby's free-kick found Renaut and his header found the top corner of the net.

But almost immediately the home side got back into the game as a complete mix-up in defence gave Dave Greenwood the chance of a simple goal.

It signalled an onslaught from Attleborough, and Bligh did well to divert an angled shot away with his legs and when a forward took the ball round him soon after Hunter raced back to clear the effort off the line.

The home side were reduced to 10 men with five minutes left as Ollie Ramsbottom was sent off for a second bookable offence, and Bungay saw out eight minutes of added time fairly comfortably.

Team - J Bligh, M Harvey, C Hunting, L Henwood, T Daniels, D Wilby (D Lowe), P Hunter, L Field, N Renaut, E Collins (T Amis), C King (J MacFarlane).

Tomorrow Bungay turn their attention to the Suffolk Senior Cup as they entertain holders Grundisburgh in the first round (2.15pm).

The visitors are so far unbeaten in the Premier Division of the Ipswich and Suffolk League.

Bungay Reserves also top their table, Division Five, following a 5-2 win over Sheringham Reserves. They are unbeaten so far.