Pool to reopen after engineers fix issue which left swimmers with sore eyes and throats
- Credit: Archant
A town’s pool looks set to reopen after being shut for nearly two weeks due to issues with air quality.
Closed since Saturday, March 9, engineers from Waveney District Council (WDC) have been working to fix a ventilation problem at the swimming pool at Bungay Pool and Gym.
Both staff and customers had previously complained of suffering from sore eyes and throats following a swim.
The issue was identified as being caused by the failure of two sensors which control the air handling units and replacements arrived on Monday, March 18, before being installed.
The potential to reopen on Tuesday was considered, but a decision was taken to bring forward other maintenance work so that it coincided with the current closure period.
You may also want to watch:
The pool now looks set to open tomorrow (Friday, March 22) afternoon, with a further update issued in due course.
A statement from WDC posted on Facebook by Bungay Pool and Gym said: “Engineers have now installed new sensors on the air handling units, replacing the two faulty sensors responsible for air quality issues last week.
- 1 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 2 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 5 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 6 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 7 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 8 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 Walk-in vaccine clinics cancelled following influx of bookings
“To reduce the amount of disruption for customers, other work which was scheduled to take place over the next few weeks has now been brought forward and is expected to be completed during this current closure period.
“Following the completion of this additional work and a period of testing, we would expect to reopen the pool on Friday afternoon. However, this will be confirmed nearer the time.”