Pool to reopen after engineers fix issue which left swimmers with sore eyes and throats
- Credit: Archant
A town’s pool looks set to reopen after being shut for nearly two weeks due to issues with air quality.
Closed since Saturday, March 9, engineers from Waveney District Council (WDC) have been working to fix a ventilation problem at the swimming pool at Bungay Pool and Gym.
Both staff and customers had previously complained of suffering from sore eyes and throats following a swim.
The issue was identified as being caused by the failure of two sensors which control the air handling units and replacements arrived on Monday, March 18, before being installed.
The potential to reopen on Tuesday was considered, but a decision was taken to bring forward other maintenance work so that it coincided with the current closure period.
You may also want to watch:
The pool now looks set to open tomorrow (Friday, March 22) afternoon, with a further update issued in due course.
A statement from WDC posted on Facebook by Bungay Pool and Gym said: “Engineers have now installed new sensors on the air handling units, replacing the two faulty sensors responsible for air quality issues last week.
- 1 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 4 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 5 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 6 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 7 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 8 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 9 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 10 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
“To reduce the amount of disruption for customers, other work which was scheduled to take place over the next few weeks has now been brought forward and is expected to be completed during this current closure period.
“Following the completion of this additional work and a period of testing, we would expect to reopen the pool on Friday afternoon. However, this will be confirmed nearer the time.”