Bungay school team make it into county football cup
- Credit: Archant
Bungay High School’s Under 15 Boys have progressed through to the final of the Suffolk County Football Cup.
In the earlier rounds the boys had comfortable wins in the High Suffolk Partnership Tournament.
Bruno Brown and Jimmy Morrissey scored the goals in a 2-0 defeat of Hartismere High. A 3-0 win over Sir Thomas Mills followed with goals from Brown, Connor Morgan and Henry Caplin.
The team then qualified for the quarter finals with Jake Sewell and Charlie Delaney on the score sheet with a win over Debenham High. In the quarter final the Bungay boys had a long journey to Haverhill to play Castle Manor, where Jimmy Morrissey was the star of the show with a super hat trick. The other scorer was Ben Snowling in a comfortable 4-1 win.
A home semi-final followed against East Bergholt on a chilly afternoon. Bungay’s opponents had several players who are involved with the county squad and Ipswich Town.
East Bergholt made the stronger start and went ahead with a towering header from an in-swinging corner. But the Bungay boys weathered the storm and gradually worked their way back into the game and Callum Read bundled in a deserved equaliser. Bungay dominated the second half and created several good opportunities to take the lead. Pressure was building and the quick feet of Morrissey won a free kick on the edge of the box from which Brown curled in the decisive goal. The boys played out the remainder of the match winning 2-1 to clinch their place in the county final.
The win was even more pleasing as Bungay were without two of their regular central midfielders and special mention goes to Henry Garratt who came in for his first match and was tireless in midfield.
- 1 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 2 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 3 Town's real ale pub launches new menu with 'something for everyone'
- 4 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 5 Beccles mother publishes new children's book
- 6 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 7 Where will be the hottest place in Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 9 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 10 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
The team will play their final in the second half of the spring term.