Renowned 'craft brewery' snapped up by trio of beer lovers
- Credit: St Peter’s Brewery
A Suffolk brewery has been bought by three friends who share a passion for beer.
St Peter's Brewery, based at St Peter's Hall, near Bungay, was created by John Murphy more than 20 years ago and has remained a prominent part of the craft brewery scene since with its distinctive bottles and beer flavours.
The new team - who have snapped up the business for an undisclosed sum - will be led by chief executive Derek Jones, who is described as "a seasoned beer man with more than 20 years of global beer experience, including at MolsonCoors and SABMiller".
The company said founder Mr Murphy - who developed and ran the business for 23 years - had taken the "difficult decision" to retire and sell up.
But he was said to be "delighted" to have found a team which will continue his legacy and carry on making high quality, traditional beers which are sold in more than 20 countries.
The brand is known for its quirky oval bottles which were a key part of Mr Murphy's clever branding.
You may also want to watch:
New owner Mr Jones said it was "an incredibly exciting new chapter for St Peter's".
"We will invest in the brewery in Suffolk from the outset to maintain quality while meeting growing demand.
- 1 Dad 'relieved' after stolen car found through power of social media
- 2 Couple separated by Covid reunited for 65th anniversary
- 3 'Leisure will be back' - Beccles reacts to PM roadmap announcement
- 4 Dog food brand's delight at launch of new range of wet food treats
- 5 Man in 70s airlifted to hospital following fall from bike
- 6 Coronavirus: How busy are our local hospitals?
- 7 Five-pronged plan for Suffolk Covid recovery to be published in June
- 8 New lease of life for fire ravaged town centre store
- 9 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed
- 10 Suffolk's Red Rooster music festival WILL go ahead over August Bank Holiday
"We believe the staff at St Peter's have contributed enormously to the company's success and are key to its future.
"We look forward to working with this excellent team and making some really good British beer."
St Peter's is set in the grounds of ancient St Peter's Hall. It also owns and runs another historic site - the Jerusalem Tavern in Clerkenwell in London.
Janet and John Murphy were advised by Dave McCarthy at DrinksAdviser.