Carnival fun 'will return next year'
ORGANISERS buoyed by the success of Sunday's Halesworth Carnival have vowed that the event will return next year. Crowds turned out in force to enjoy the colourful and popular parade, and the atmosphere in the town was described as “electric”.
ORGANISERS buoyed by the success of Sunday's Halesworth Carnival have vowed that the event will return next year.
Crowds turned out in force to enjoy the colourful and popular parade, and the atmosphere in the town was described as “electric”.
Fears had been raised that this year's carnival could be the last organised by the Halesworth Lions Club as the organisation warned that the mounting cost of staging it and the reduction in the amount of sponsorship placed its future in grave danger.
But the club's president Mandy Hawksley yesterday said the event would return next year thanks to the support of local people.
You may also want to watch:
“The town has really turned out and supported us, so we will carry on next year. We wouldn't want to disappoint the town,” she said.
“It has been such a wonderful day. The turnout has been amazing and the park has been packed with people ever since the procession came in.”
- 1 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 2 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 3 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 4 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 5 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 6 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 7 Man suffered double jaw fracture in Norwich bar attack
- 8 Health watchdog's concerns over 87-year-old's hospital discharge
- 9 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
- 10 Woman's body found at Loddon home
The carnival kicked off with the grand procession from Bramfield Industrial Estate. After the main parade there was a children's fancy dress competition, a pet show and the annual carnival duck race.
Entertainment included music from the Reydon Marching Band and the Suffolk Samba Band.