Carnival will go ahead next year
YOU have made this year's Beccles Carnival a success and by doing so ensured its future.Delighted organisers this week said the traditional event will definitely go ahead again next year after some amazing support from the people of the town.
YOU have made this year's Beccles Carnival a success and by doing so ensured its future.
Delighted organisers this week said the traditional event will definitely go ahead again next year after some amazing support from the people of the town.
Last month, a rallying call to “use it or lose it” was issued after poor turnouts and a shortfall in cash overshadowed recent years.
But last night, a buoyant Annette Tackley confirmed that the two-day event will certainly return in 2010, with the possibility of bringing back the popular firework
You may also want to watch:
Although final figures won't be available until next week, Mrs Tackley said there would not be a repeat of last year when the committee found themselves �3,000 in debt.
- 1 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 4 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 5 Hunt continuing for man who drove at cyclist
- 6 'A long time coming' - gyms welcome people back for April 12 reopening
- 7 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 8 Crash between car and scooter on busy Norfolk road
- 9 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'This is not okay!' - Anger at waste dumped on village field
Instead she revealed they were in profit from the moment the event kicked off.
She estimated there had been record crowds - at least 2,000 people at the carnival over the two days, and suggested that the more traditional family event with no night-time entertainment had been the source of its success.
“People seemed to enjoy the more traditional carnival,” she said. “They enjoyed the spirit down by the quayside. All the stallholders were getting on well and there was a really nice atmosphere. People really enjoyed themselves.”
She added that the new baby competition had been an added attraction and will be turned into an annual fixture.
Mrs Tackley said she was still disappointed with the lack of people willing to help out with organising and asked that more people chip in next year.
“We haven't a committee as such, there was only five of us,” she said. “We've all had to do extra things and we've all been working extremely hard. People did miss the fireworks
but we couldn't afford to do them this year. We're hoping to go back to having fireworks next year if possible.”
Money raised from this year's carnival filled six buckets, and is being
totted up by staff at Morrisons in Beccles.
Preparations for next year's event will get under way soon, with an AGM planned for the end of September
or beginning of October. Anyone wishing to lend a hand for next year's carnival can telephone Annette on 01502 715671.
For all the pictures and lowdown on Sunday's parade see Page 20.